Chapter One, The Discovery

AN: This is my first story, and I'm super excited to be writing for you guys! Hope you enjoy.

                                                                             Chapter One

                                                                            The Discovery

As you force your legs up the last few feet of incline, you emerge from the trees into a clearing. The wind blows your hair in your face as it whistles through the pine needles. You sigh, it feels great after the exhausting trek up the mountain.

You look around and take in your surroundings; To your left, the nearly vertical wall up to the mountain's peak looms above. To your right, the same cliff-like wall drops away, tree roots clinging to the limestone like a many-fingered hand. The sunlight beams down on the dusty rock path like a spotlight after the dimness of the overgrown forest trail. In fact it was hardly a 'path' at all. Hardly anyone ever used it. Most people were afraid of the "monsters" underneath the mountain. You didn't really have an opinion on the matter, while you had never denied the existence of monsters, you aren't a particularly superstitious person either.

Nonetheless, it was still a beautiful view from the mountain, the countryside sprawling out before you. The city, mountains, lake, and the edge of the forest were all easily visible from your vantage point, with hills, the ocean, and the inner, denser parts of the forest far in the distance.

"Why'd you stop?!" your friend Sophia snaps crossly, rather prickly due to the soreness.

"Shhhhhh, you're ruining the moment." you reply jokily.

"Moment? Actually, nevermind, don't tell me. Just get going."

You walk farther into the clearing with your six friends not far behind. you are a little more than halfway up Mt. Ebot, at one of the few spots on the path to the top where the trees thin enough for you to watch the sunset. you had come here after one of your friends, Adom, had suggested it. He's always doing crazy stuff like this, and asking you to come with. You were usually the only one who went, but this time everyone came.

The six friends you went with are the only you have. You never knew your parents and the city doesn't have an orphanage that will accept your age group. Though honestly, you wouldn't want to be in an orphanage if there was one. So for now you've been allowed to stay in the teachers lounge at the local high school. You're 16 and work a night job. Life sure is great.

After a while of sitting and talking, waiting for the sun to go down someone changes the subject.

"Hey" Danny asks, "Does anyone else hear music?" Everyone goes silent and listens. After a few moments you reply to his wondering.

"Yeah I think so, maybe"

"Oh come on, no one ever comes up here. You're just imagining things." Rachel says doubtfully.

"No," one of your other friends Caeden comments "I hear it too."

"Yeah," you say thoughtfully, putting a hand on your chin "I can definitely hear something.. weird."

"Hey! Never mind that, the sky is starting to turn pink!" Emie exclaims.

You all look up and sure enough, as the sun hits the horizon, streaks of red, pink and orange shoot across the sky. Adom stands up to get a better view and soon enough the rest follow, leaning back against the cliff face. You sigh and rest your head on the rocks.

As soon as your head hits the cliff behind you, the wall gives out and you all fall back into a dark space behind the cliff face.

As the cavernous space opens up in the side of the  mountain, the music you had heard earlier is suddenly all around you. Swooping and rolling, bouncing off walls at a near deafening volume.