Chapter Twelve, Dust

Chapter Twelve

Dust

"... Fine. Twenty minutes. But if it gets too bad before then, we have to go."

"Alright."

...

That was twenty minutes ago.

Frisk left some minutes prior without saying anything and still hasn't returned. You decide to go out to wait for her, though you didn't want to kill anyone, you were a man of your word.

As you open the door and step out into the ruins, you bump into a surprised Frisk who quickly steps back and puts her hands behind her back.

"Oh, it's just you." she says, sighing and letting her hands fall to her sides, revealing what looks like a plastic knife.

"Uhh- what's that?" you ask, eyeing the knife doubtfully.

"It's your weapon." She says, throwing it to you, "come on." She turns around and starts walking away.

"W-wait! Frisk!" You call, running to catch up "Are... Are you sure about this?" You ask seriously.

"Yes." She answers, not looking at you. You slowly nod and step back, taking your hand off her arm and letting it fall. She continues to walk, you following after, until you reach a room where an unlucky Frogit had decided to nap.

Frisk nods to you and you begin to sneak up on the unsuspecting monster, bringing the knife up, preparing to strike. You glance at Frisk who is standing in the doorway, arms folded across her chest. She raises an eyebrow at you.

You close your eyes and bring the toy knife down on the frog.

You feel the plastic hit something hard and open your eyes to see a horrified Frogitt and your knife touching the ground next to it.

The two of you stare at each other for what feels like forever before it frantically hops away. You lunge, landing on it, and manage to stab the hard plastic into its ribs.

You stand up, horrified at what you just did. Though still trying to comprehend your actions, you feel a strange sense of power flow through you. You look down at the pile of grey dust on the floor and your hands.

This used to be alive. I did this.

You look to Frisk, who is looking at you with a mixture of surprise and unimpressed on her face.

"I didn't expect you to go through with it. But still, that was just sad." You watch her walk towards you and pick up the knife.

"This is how it's done." In one fluid motion, she tosses the knife up, catching it by the blade and whips around, throwing it into the back of a Whimsum, who was quietly trying to exit the room. It immediately turns to dust and the knife falls to the floor.

"F-Frisk..." She did it with such ease and speed. Like it was natural.

"That's how you dust a monster."

"That was really cool actually." You tell her.

"Hah. You should see Chara. She's a hundred times-"

"Greetings." You and Frisk turn to look at your ghost friend, who is looking around the room in shock. "Frisk, did you?" You blush slightly, remembering why she was gone in the first place.

"Yes. We needed to find you. The glitches are getting worse and we need to go."

"Oh. Still, I didn't think you'd go to such... 'extreme lengths'" She smiles creepily.

"I-... I just couldn't stand to see Toriel like that any longer. I don't know if she realises it's happening, or if she's suffering, but I still don't want her to glitch like that." She wipes her moist eyes, "and, if we are going to a different universe we should be able to call you." Chara nods thoughtfully

"That makes sense. Anyway, does that mean we're going now?" She asks, still looking at Frisk, even though you're the one getting the group to the void. In fact, she hasn't looked in your direction once! Is she ignoring you?

"Is there anything we should grab?" you chime in, hoping to get her to acknowledge you.

"Maybe some more monster candy." Frisk says, pointing to the door to your left, "We don't know where we'll end up, so we'll want healing items."

"Right." You say, grabbing the knife and brushing off the remains of the bug monster, then walking towards the door. "Good idea."

Time skip a few minutes

"So, I don't really feel as bad as I expected after killing that monster." You say, trying to break the awkward silence. You mentaly kick yourself, seriously? That's the best you could come up with for a conversation starter? You shake your head.

"That could be because your LV increased. The more you kill the more it goes up, the less it hurts to kill, and the stronger you become. Did you feel the strength you got from that?" You think back to the feeling of power you had gotten from killing it. The feeling had died down, but you still felt stronger. You nod and thank Frisk for the explanation.

"Plus, Frogets are basically wild animals. What you did is pretty much the equivalent of killing a raccoon or other small animal." You turn to Chara in surprise. This was the first time she had spoken to you since she re-joined the group almost thirty minutes ago. You were glad she was talking to you again, it had taken you a while to get her to open up the first time.You were relieved to not have to go through that again.

You arrive at the candy room and Frisk goes in to take as much as she can fit in her pockets. You take this opportunity to talk to Chara and try to break the awkwardness between you.

"So, Chara," You say nervously, "uh- where were you?"

"Around." You sneak a glance at her face. You can tell she's nervous too, although she seems to be trying to hide it.

"O-oh... So- about last night,.."

"Last night?" You and Chara jump to see Frisk coming out of the candy room.

"Wow. that was fast."

"Yeah, I got a bunch but I uh.." You look in the room behind her.

"Oh! Frisk!" You laugh at the scene before you. The Bowl the candy was in had been knocked onto the ground, spilling the candy was everywhere.

"Ahaha.. Yeah.. I was trying to hurry...."

"Well, that's ok. We didn't need that much. Just enough to get us by, along with Toriel's pie. And hopefully we can find other food somewhere."

"So we're done here?"

"Yeah." You look at the girls,"You two don't have anything else you need?"

"Nope."

"No."

"Alrighty then. Gaster! We're ready!"

There's a pause before a strange black spot appears on the wall and starts growing, becoming stable and forming an oval shape. You all look at each other.

"You first." Chara says, gesturing towards the portal "This is your deal." You nod, siking yourself up, before walking hesitantly towards the wall and into the darkness.

To your surprise, you aren't falling, instead you seem to be walking on some invisible floor. You turn to your companions and give them a thumbs up. Chara enters confidently, Frisk behind her.

As Frisk takes her first step into the void, the portal closes behind her, making her squeal in surprise. You smile at her and she responds with an embarrassed grin. Though there is no source of light, you notice that you can see the others fine.

"Children." The distorted voice of Gaster echoes out from the darkness, "Welcome to the Void."

(AN: Alright, so the story is finally kicking off! It's taken a while, but thanks to those who stuck with it. I'm really excited for this and I like the direction the story is taking. Please let me know if there is an AU you like and want to see featured in this and I will try to have them visit as many as possible. See ya!)