Chapter Ten , Midnight Emotions

Chapter Ten

Midnight Emotions

(woo! Double digits!

I've been noticing more and more recently how short 1,000 words is, especially now that I'm trying to add more detail to my writing. So, from now on you can probably expect chapters to be between 900-1,700 words. Anyway, this chapter is going to be a bit... different than others. Enjoy~)

You're laying in bed, Frisk happily cuddled up into your side, arms wrapped around you so you can't sneak off without her knowing. Chara is sleep-floating in the corner, an annoyed look still on her face after Frisk had told her there wasn't enough room in the bed.

You shake your head. Did you really think you were the one in control here? The moment you said you were going alone, both girls had flipped. They gave you a hard scolding, and Frisk went out to spend time with Toriel while Chara stayed in the room to keep you 'company'. Hah. More like to keep an eye on you. Eventually you were let out, and you, Frisk and Toriel had spent the day together.

It seemed like Frisk had forgotten about what happened until night came, and she was more protective again, clearly still afraid that you would leave.

You look down at her. She's laying on her side, lips parted slightly, as her chest rises and falls. Her arms are wrapped around your torso, her head laying gently on your bicep. She has her legs curled up about halfway, with one of them resting slightly on yours. Her brown hair is short and messy, strewn across her face, and onto your shoulder. She seems so peaceful this way. It's as if the only time she's ever happy anymore is when she's unconscious.

You consider moving the hair out of her face but decide against it. May as well respect her personal space. Even if she is sleeping.

"Ya know, watching you watch her sleep is really creepy." You jump, looking up to see that Chara had somehow managed to float next to the bed without you noticing.

Checking to make sure Frisk is still asleep, you put your finger to your lips to shush the Ghost.

"Sorry" She whispers

"It's fine. I just don't want to wake her up." You assure her. "Speaking of which, why are you awake?"

"I could ask you the same thing." You give Chara an unamused look, making her giggle quietly. "I just couldn't sleep. That's all."

"Weren't you just sleeping?"

"Oh, so you were watching me too huh?"

"Wa-? No!" You tell her, blushing. "I just saw you."

"I'm joking. And yeah, I guess I was asleep. I had a nightmare though."

"Oh, that sucks. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. ... Thanks for the concern though." She says, floating to your side of the bed and kneeling down so she is closer to your level. You smile at her, though you're not sure she saw it in the dark.

"So do you get nightmares often?" You ask, trying to help without talking about the actual contents of the nightmare.

"Yeah, kinda" She says sighing. "But it's fine. I'm a ghost so losing a little sleep is no big deal." She tells you, not wanting you to worry. "Besides, I deserve them anyway." she said the last part so quietly you could barely make it out.

"What?" You ask, though more out of confusion than wanting her to repeat herself.

"Oh, nothing." She says, giving you a small smile. Though it was dark, you could still make out the fact that she was clearly not as happy as she was making out. Was she crying??