Chapter seven

I have officially given up. This hospital is an asylum now. I'm not like the others that are stuck in here. I have a life or had a life. That's the difference. Mary tries to come talk to me every now and then, but I just turn my back to the door and pretend to be asleep, eventually she leaves. Sometimes she linger though and it's a little creepy. I just wish I could go home. I miss Lily and Yang. I'm guessing they're busy with high school problems. When I come back to school, I'm going to be a semester behind. I'll have to take summer school to catch up, which sucks. While Lilly is on the TV at the summer Olympics, I'll my on my computer taking classes with only one leg. Actually, I don't even know if Lilly was admitted into the Olympics, I complain about how they haven't been texting me or talking to me, but I haven't really ever tried texting them either.
I decide to text Lilly, so I swing my leg over the bed and grab my crutches to swing over to the table in the room. I grab my phone and I open up my texts with Lilly. Our last text was so long ago. I type out "Hey" and I'm just about to send it when I hear someone clapping.
Its Mary. She's standing in the door way slowly applauding me. I just stay silent. She just smiles at me.
"what?" I ask
"you're holding your crutch bar...."
I look down, my hand is completely around my crutch. My skin is tight and is being stretched, but the pain is subtle. She walks in and sits in her swirly chair and gives me an eye brow raise.
"you've been in this hospital for six months, let's say we get you out of here" she says
"how?" I ask
"well if you accept to do physical therapy, we can have you out of here next week"
"really?!"
"yeah, you don't need this place, but you have to be willing to help yourself. You have to take your medication and come to physical therapy once a week as well as doing stretches every day at home until you're back to normal."
I sigh, "okay"
Mary then pulls the red ball out of her pocket and throws in at my feet. She looks at me then back at the ball. I know she wants me to pick it up, but I also only have one leg. I shift my knee-stump backwards and my chest forward while bending my normal knee. I lower myself until my disformed hands are on the ground. It hurts to put so much pressure on them, but I quickly release the pressure from one hand to the other and grab the ball. From there I'm not sure how to get up. I try to keep the ball in my hand as I grab the table next to me to hoist myself up. Eventually I stand straight up. My face is red from all the blood rushing to my face. Mary nods at me in approval. Oh, what I would do to wipe that smile off her face. Instead I just toss the ball back, mostly using the momentum from swinging my arm back, so I don't have to curve my wrist. Mary catches it then throws it back to be, this time aiming to my arms. The ball flies to the arm that is holding my crutch. Without thinking I let go of my crutch to catch it. My crutch falls loudly and I flitch, letting the ball pass me. I quickly put my hand on the table for stability. I then turn my body and tri-pod myself, hand on the table and my leg straight on the ground.
"We're just getting started" says Mary
Then she stands up and leaves the room leaving me by myself to get back into bed. A weird method of helping an amputee figure out how to do simple tasks but okay.