Chapter 38

Happy late birthday to Itachi and I'm sorry I've been inactive. I've had some writers block, but now I should be able to update some more. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days had passed since Dad's death and I haven't left my apartment since the funeral. I just didn't want to go anywhere and I've barely eaten. 

I couldn't even cry anymore. It hurt if I continued to cry. I just kept blaming myself for his death since I didn't rush to that barrier in time. 

I hated myself for this. 

I should've been there.

Why the hell didn't I just stop Orochimaru when he kidnapped me the first time?

There was a knock at my door and I sighed, throwing the covers off of me.

I was only wearing pajama pants, a tank top, had my hair in a bun, and had dark circles under my eyes. I didn't really care about my appearance at all right now since I was too depressed to care.

I walked over to the door and answered it.

It was Asuma and Kurenai.

I invited them inside and Kurenai was staring at me with sympathy.

"Kasumi...you haven't been eating, have you?" Asuma pointed out.

"As a matter of fact, I have been," I attempted to lie.

Truthfully, I wasn't very hungry and I lost my appetite after that. 

"Kasumi, you're a lot skinnier than the last time I saw you and that's not a good thing. Don't lie to me," Asuma sighed.

"Okay, fine," I rolled my eyes. "I haven't been, but I'm just not feeling hungry at all,"

"You should at least try to eat something small, like soup at least," Kurenai suggested.

"Maybe later. What are you two doing here anyway?"

"Kurenai and I were worried about you since we haven't heard from you since the funeral. We just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out with us," Asuma answered. 

"I see," I nodded. "I'll just shower real quick and go get changed,"

I guess it couldn't hurt. I haven't been doing anything anyway.

They nodded and I rushed to the bathroom. I only took a ten-minute shower and changed into my ninja attire. 

I slipped my shoes on and they both stood up so we could leave my apartment. 

"So where are we going then?" I asked as I locked my door behind me.

"We can go walk to the tea shop. Anko was asking earlier if we could pick up some dumplings for her," Kurenai suggested.

I followed Asuma and Kurenai to the tea shop while looking down at my feet. I was still depressed over Dad.

"You two seem to be getting along," I heard Kakashi's voice.

I looked up and I saw Kurenai's cheeks turn pink. She tried to come up with an excuse and looked away, embarrassed.

"So what are you doing here?" Asuma asked him.

He was reading a book while leaning against the wall and looked up from the book. 

"I'm here to buy something and put it on a grave," He answered. "Plus I'm here to meet someone,"

"Who are you meeting?" I asked.

He looked inside of the tea shop and we all noticed two cloaked men sitting inside. My eyes widened when I recognized the cloak.