Chapter 39

The tension in the air was thick.

Itachi and Kakashi stared each other down, while Kakashi's clone on the other end glared at Kisame.

"Well, well," Kisame smiled. "That's how you copied my jutsu. So there really is someone besides Itachi with those crazy eyes. You're Kakashi, aren't you? The copy ninja?"

"You can imagine my surprise," Kakashi's clone retorted. "I go to check out a couple of low life vagabonds in the tea shop, and I find none other than Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki, the scourge of the Hidden Mist Village,"

"How about that..." Kisame smirked. "You know my name. I'm honored,"

Kakashi's clone looked at Kisame's sword. "I assume that bizarre excuse for a sword is one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist? The one called 'Samehada the Shark Skin'?"

Kisame chuckled and grasped the hilt of his sword. "I heard that you and Zabuza had an outing a while back,"

"Yes, we did,"

Kakashi reached behind his back for a kunai and Kisame rose his sword. "Go ahead, I'd love to cut you to ribbons,"

"Kisame, stop it," Itachi ordered. "If you take this man on, it won't be without cost. Furthermore, it will take time and the commotion is likely to bring more ninjas running. Your way is inefficient and unnecessarily risky. Don't lose sight of our goal,"

"Let's hear it," Kakashi's clone spoke before disappearing. "What is your goal exactly?"

Itachi briefly made eye contact with me and looked at the real Kakashi. 

"We're looking for something and we know it's here," he replied.

"And what would that be?" Kakashi asked.

Itachi didn't reply and Kakashi raised his kunai, threatening him. "What is it you're looking for?"

Itachi didn't seem fazed and just continued staring at Kakashi stoically. 

"My way is more efficient than Kisame's,"

"Water style: Water wall!" Kakashi exclaimed. 

Itachi somehow made four tendrils of the water attack Kakashi, but then a big spout of water surrounded him and blocked Itachi's attack. The wall collapsed and Kakashi glared at Itachi. 

"You're good," Itachi complimented. "You almost anticipated my move,"

"Almost?" I asked quietly.

A shadow clone of Itachi appeared out of nowhere and stabbed Kakashi in the back. I gasped and he dissolved into water, revealing that it was a water clone. 

Kurenai grabbed a kunai from the water and smirked. 

"Nice job, Kakashi," She praised, but then kunai revealed to be Kakashi. 

Asuma quickly pulled me back and Kakashi grabbed Kurenai, leaping away with her.

"Get back! That one's the shadow clone!"

A huge amount of water shot up and drenched all of us.

Kakashi looked worn out and panted.

"Stay on your toes," He advised us. "This guy was made chief of ANBU black ops when he was only thirteen,"

"Alright he's tough," Asuma said, getting himself ready to fight again. "We get it,"

"Tough?" Kakashi replied. "You haven't seen half of what he can do,"

"For someone who is not part of the Uchiha clan, you've mastered the sharingan well," Itachi said, still stoic. "However, not being one of us, you lack our physical strength and that's something you can't copy,"