Chapter 45

I decided I'd call in sick today. Lady Tsunade let me do it anyway since she understood how tired I was, especially after that last mission.

I spent hours crying over what happened last night because now I lost another family member.

I told Asuma that I was going to end things with Itachi, but the truth is, I'm not. I can't bring myself to do that. I can't lose someone else I care about again.

I was sitting on my bed, pondering what the hell I was going to do now. 

I heard scratching at my window and I saw a black cat.

I rose an eyebrow. Is that him?"

I opened the window and the cat came inside.

"Itachi?"

"Yes, it's me,"

I sighed with relief. I locked my windows, closed my blinds, and closed the curtains just in case.

"I'm glad you're here," I said and tried to get close to him, but he moved. 

I thought it was weird, but maybe it's unintentional.

"We should probably talk outside the village, just in case," Itachi said.

I nodded in agreement. He turned back into the black cat and I lifted him up and walked outside my house.

It was raining really hard today.

I shielded him from the rain and walked out the gate, telling Izumo and Kotetsu that I forgot something the last time I left and I was just going to go get it.

They believed it and I walked far enough from the village so we could actually start talking.

I regretted not having a jacket now. I was just wearing a shirt he left here and a pair of leggings.

Itachi turned back to his regular self and we both sat down on the grass.

"What happened with Gin yesterday?" He asked.

"Well, I ended up killing him and I actually got paid for that since he was in the bingo book. I didn't do it because of that though, I did it because I was tired of him harassing me and stalking me,"

Itachi nodded.

"I found out a few things about him,"

"Oh?"

"Tsuyoshi said something about him using Orochimaru to get to you during the chunin exams because he knew you would be one of the proctors with Anko," Itachi explained. 

That actually made sense. I remember he didn't act like he was allied with him that day.

"And who the hell is Tsuyoshi? Is he dead?"

"Yes," Itachi nodded. "I finished him off, so he won't be a problem for you anymore. He's just a crazy scientist who was obsessed with Orochimaru and trying to be like him. Turns out they were teamed up one day, but Orochimaru dropped him. So Tsuyoshi tried to create an artificial child using your DNA and some other test subject to kill Orochimaru for revenge,"

"What a freak," I shook my head. 

"What happened after Asuma found out?" Itachi asked. "You shouldn't have flat out told him about us,"

"He was bound to find out either way," I said. "And we just argued a lot last night. I told him to stay out of my love life and cut him off because he told me that if I didn't end things with you, he would threaten to tell our Hokage,"

"What do you mean you cut him off?"

"Exactly what I said. He doesn't have a sister anymore because he needs to learn that he can't control my happiness and I wouldn't be able to forgive him,"

Itachi was quiet now.

"Don't worry Itachi, I won't actually end things between us. I...I can't bring myself to do it," I said. 

I almost told him that I loved him. We haven't said that yet and I don't know how he'd react if I did.

He looked over at me.

"Kasumi,"

"Yes?"

"He's right,"

"What?"

"We have to end this,"

I tried to get close to him, but he dodged it and stood back up. I wasn't imagining that.

"What are you talking about?"

"We can't continue this,"

The world felt like it stopped turning and my heart just shattered into a million pieces.

It actually took me a minute to process what he just said.

"I'm sorry," Is all Itachi said in response. 

I swallowed before speaking.

"...But we can make this work,"

"You know full well why we can't be together. We both knew this from the start, Kasumi,"

Hot tears started to pour down my cheeks like waterfalls. 

"Don't do this to me, Itachi,"

He didn't reply and turned around. I don't think he was able to look at me right now. 

He started walking away and I stood up, immediately grabbing onto his wrist. He stopped and I turned him around to face me.

His eyes even looked misty.

"Please don't leave me, Itachi. I'm begging you. Please just try to make this work with me,"

"Kasumi-"

"No Itachi, you don't understand why I'm begging you right now. I'm...I...I.." I sobbed.

I don't think I could say it right now. 

I was in love with him. I loved him more than anything in the world. He was the reason why I was happy, the reason I felt safe and secure, he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. 

Telling him that I loved him would only make this hurt even more.

"I need you,"

He broke free from my grip and he continued looking at me. He didn't reply for a while and he finally spoke. 

"Goodbye, Kasumi."

"Itachi, no!" I started sobbing hysterically. 

I collapsed to the ground, not caring if it was wet from the rain. I couldn't see him anymore because he was already gone. 

I was too focused on the physical pain in my chest. It felt like a piece of me had been ripped out and that's when I knew the love I had for him was real. 

What was I going to do without him now?

Does he even care that he just broke me way worse than anyone could?

~~~~~~~~~

Wow, this actually broke my heart to write.