Blizzard

“I can’t believe I’m looking at a Firebolt,” said Serena. Her mouth was hanging open as she stared at the broom behind the glass in the display case, along with a bunch of other students.

“I don’t even want to look at the price of it,” said Oliver. “I’ll bet it costs more than my house.”

Serena placed her hand on the glass as if she could feel the smooth handle. She closed her eyes as she imagined herself flying through the air on the fastest broom in the world. It would be impossible for Gryffindor to beat them if she had it.

“We should go,” said Oliver as he reached for Serena’s hand. “Don’t want you getting any ideas…”

“What? You scared I’ll buy it and kick your arse this year?” she smirked.

“Yeah, right,” he said with a chuckle. “I’m not worried about that at all.”

“Oh really?” asked Serena.

“I’ve got it all worked out.” He winked at her.

“We’ll see about that,” said Serena. They walked towards Madam Malkin’s and they saw Maggie and Olivia waiting for them.

“So, I’ll see you this weekend?” asked Oliver. Serena’s heart skipped a beat.

“Mm-hmm.”

“Don’t be nervous,” he said. “My parent’s will love you. Probably not as much as I do, but I promise – you have nothing to worry about.”

He kissed Serena’s lips before walking off. She stood there with her heart pounding. How is it that at this time last year, Oliver Wood had repulsed her and now, she felt like she might die watching him walk away from her?

The rest of the week dragged on. Serena’s parents were gone and she spent most of the time in her room. Finally Friday evening rolled around. She told her parents that she was staying at Maggie’s for the weekend. They didn’t seem to care. They were leaving for their dinner party right before Oliver was supposed to arrive.

Serena waited impatiently for her parents to leave. She kept trying to push them out of the house so there wouldn’t be any chance that they’d run into Oliver.

“You’ll be back Sunday, right?” asked her mother.

“Yes, mum.”

“You’re taking the Floo Network, right? I don’t want you Apparating…” said her father.

“Dad, I haven’t even passed my test. Don’t worry I’m using the Floo Network. Please, just go. Don’t worry about me.”

Her parents kissed her on the forehead before they both Disapparated where they stood. She looked at the clock and it was five minutes until five o’clock. She ran upstairs, grabbed her bag and waited in the living room, nervously as she thought about his parents.

Would they be kind and understanding like he was? Or would they judge her because she’s a Slytherin. What if they didn’t think she was good enough for their son? What if they didn’t like the fact that she played Quidditch? What if –

Her thoughts were cut off by the green flames lapping in the fireplace. She stood up and watched as Oliver stepped out of the fireplace more gracefully than she’d ever been able to.

“I’m impressed,” she said as Oliver wiped some soot from his pants.

“Why?”

“I usually stumble like a drunkard when I step out of a fireplace.”