Hell of a First Day

The Forbidden Forest was scary, even in the daytime. Maggie and Serena creeped through the trees trying not to be spotted by any dangerous predators.

“How are we going to find her if she’s in here?” asked Maggie. “It’s huge!”

“Just – I don’t know – think like Olivia…” said Serena.

“Well unless there’s a library in here then I don’t think that’s very helpful,” said Maggie half serious.

Serena and Maggie traipsed through the forest for a good hour before they felt like giving up.

“We’ve definitely missed Care of Magical Creatures,” said Maggie. “You think we should just head back?”

Serena was about to answer when she suddenly heard some rustling in the bushes. The both of them bared their wands and waited for something to jump out at them. Serena’s feet seemed to have been glued to the ground. Her instincts told her to run, but her mind wanted to wait for whatever was about to attack. Suddenly, a skinny girl with dark brown hair popped out of the bushes looking dazed and confused.

“OLIVIA!” yelled Serena and Maggie at the same time as they embraced their friend with a hug.

“We thought you were a goner!” exclaimed Maggie.

Serena was about to speak to her when she noticed that Olivia didn’t look like herself. She lifted up her wand to Olivia’s face and noticed her pupils were heavily dilated. Her face was covered in scratches and her lower lip was bleeding. Her eyes stared into nothingness as if she didn’t even notice her friend’s presence. Serena looked down and saw that her robes were torn and were bloodstained.

“We have to get her back to the castle,” said Serena. “Now.”

“What’s the matter with her?” asked Maggie. Serena grabbed Olivia’s arm as she tried to wander off.

“I have no idea,” said Serena as she struggled to grab her friend. “But she needs to see Professor Dumbledore.

It took the girls a long time to find their way out of the Forbidden Forest. Olivia kept trying to run off and she kept mumbling things that didn’t make sense.

“He – told – me – to – leave,” she said as she stared at sky. “I – left.”

“Yeah, I know Liv, it’s okay,” said Maggie patting her arm.

“Where – we – going?” she asked.

“We’re taking you back up to the castle,” said Serena. “You need to see Professor Dumbledore.”

“NO!” yelled Olivia as she pulled away. She slipped out of Serena and Maggie’s grip and headed back to the forest.

“Olivia!” yelled Maggie.

“Stop her!” yelled Serena as Olivia ran off.

“Petrificus Totalus!” yelled Maggie. Olivia’s body fell to the ground with a hard thud.

“How do we get her up to the castle now?” asked Serena. “I don’t think we’ll be able to carry her.”

“Serena, are you a witch or not?” asked Maggie. With a wave of her wand Olivia’s body was hovering in the air following close behind them.

Once they reached the castle, they were greeted by Professor Snape, Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall.

 “Ladies!” shrieked Professor McGonagall. “Where have you – oh my! Is that –?”

“It’s Miss Hawthorne,” said Snape with a worried expression.

The three teachers immediately un-hexed Olivia and she thrashed around on the ground as if she was being possessed. Serena and Maggie had never been so scared.