Try to Remember

The next morning, Serena had woken herself up from another strange dream. The large black dog had reappeared but this time, it seemed as if he was trying to speak to her. He kept standing up on his hind legs and moving his mouth but no sounds came out. She figured that this was just a product of stress.

At breakfast everyone seemed to be huddling around the Gryffindor table once again.

“What’s going on now?” asked Maggie.

Serena didn’t even have to answer. The three girls headed over to the Gryffindor table once again and she found Oliver standing near Fred and George.

“What is it?” asked Serena as she greeted Oliver with a hug.

“You haven’t heard?” he asked. Serena shook her head.

“Sirius Black has been spotted in the castle again,” he said. Serena’s heart jumped up into her throat.

“W-what?”

“He apparently tried to attack Ron last night,” he continued. “We were all woken up while the castle was searched. We didn’t get much sleep.”

“Wait,” said Olivia quietly. “Why does he constantly keep trying to break into Gryffindor tower? He can’t be after you, Serena.”

“Maybe he isn’t,” she whispered back.

“I told you,” said Oliver. “You’re perfectly safe here.”

“So, they never found him?” asked Maggie.

“Don’t believe so,” said Oliver. “But, they have tightened up the security around here. I hope they don’t cancel the Hogsmeade trip next weekend.”

“There’s a Hogsmeade trip?” asked Serena.

“Yeah,” said Oliver.

“We should all go together,” said Olivia.

“Oh – uh – I can’t,” said Maggie suddenly. Everyone looked over at her. “I have a date.” She quickly tried to turn and head back over to the Slytherin table but Olivia grabbed her arm.

“Wait, what?” asked Olivia.

“With who?” asked Serena. Maggie blushed.

“Adrian Pucey,” she said quietly.

“And when were you planning on telling us?” asked Serena.

“I dunno,” said Maggie shrugging her shoulders. No one even knew that the two of them even talked to each other. “He asked me the other night at dinner. I had no idea – I mean – I always thought him and Carmelita – but I said yes!”

Oliver rolled his eyes as Olivia squealed and jumped up and down excitedly.

“Well there’s no way I’m going to be third wheeling!” said Olivia. “Looks like I need a date, pronto.”

As she said that, Serena saw her glance over at Bletchley.

“Don’t even think about it, Liv,” said Serena.

“What?”

“Don’t ask Miles,” she said. “He’s a prat. You can do better.”

“But – I haven’t talked to anyone else since the breakup,” she said. “It’ll be difficult to get a date this late.”

“You could always ask Marcus,” said Maggie with a laugh.

“I’d rather pull off my toenails and eat them,” she retorted. Oliver and Serena laughed. Serena turned to Oliver as Maggie and Olivia discussed boys.