28- Court Order

On the day of her mother's trial, Sara walked into the courtroom, with her friends by her side for back up. The room was filled with people, some of which Sara had seen throughout her life, when they came to check up on her mother.
Since her mother was not able to be there in person, the chair the middle of the room was currently empty, because she could not testify for herself, as she was a dragon. But Sara knew that she would be the first witness, to sit in that chair, and plead for her mother, to be left alone.
"Let the hearing commence. We are here to discuss whether Miss Natasha Burne, a known Maledictus, with the ability to trasform into a dragon, can be allowed to remain at her place of residence, now that she can no longer remember who she is.
The court calls forward the defendent's daughter, Miss Sara Burne" announced a middle-aged male wizard, named Rafial Barlow, who was the interrogator for the day.

Before she stood up, Remus grabbed hold of Sara's hand, and whispered into her ear.
"Remember. Lying about your mothers state of mind, will not get you the outcome you desire. You have the tell them all the truth" he said quietly.
Sara removed her hand from his grasp, and took a seat in the middle of the room. She began to feel her palms sweat nervously, as the members of the Wizengamot, stared down at her.
Remus gave her a thumbs up, and she took a deep breath to calm herself. Knowing that turning into a dragon, in the middle of the room was not a good idea.
"Please state your name for the court" instructed Rafial.
"Sara Burne" replied Sara, as clearly as she could.

"You currently attend Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Is this correct?" Asked Rafial.
"Yes. I have just finished my 6th year" answered Sara.
"It says here that you visit your mother on weekends, as well as during the holidays. Is this true?"
"No, not any more. I used to go home every weekend, when I first started, but I don't do that any more"
"And why is that?"
"I became better at being away from my mother. And it turns out that she didn't need me to visit her, as much as I thought she did"
"But you still see her during your holidays"
"No... I've taken to spending them, with my friends instead".

"I see. Is your reluctance to spend time with your mother, because you two can no longer communicate? Or is there another reason you have stopped seeing her?" Questioned Rafial.
"I have always been able to talk to her... Just not when I'm a human" admitted Sara.
"I see. For those of you that don't know, the Maledictus gene is passed down the female line, so Sara here, has the same condition as her mother...
If you can still talk to her, while you are transformed, then why do you not want to see her during your holidays?"
"She- She hasn't been herself lately, so I stopped wanting to spend time with her. And even when I did, I would have to transform myself, and I didn't want to have to keep doing that"
"Are you saying that your mother no longer recognises you, when you're in your human form?".

A tear slid down Sara's cheek, and she took a deep breath, as she knew she had to tell the truth.
"My mother hasn't really recognised my human form, for quite some time now" she admitted.
"Do you think she has completely forgotten her human life, and now exists souly as a dragon- a mindless beast?" Quizzed Rafial.
"No- I mean, she's not a beast, she's not a monster. She will always be my mother, even if she can't remember it herself"
"Are you saying, that your own mother no longer recognises you at all, even in your other form?"
"I don't- I mean I- She... All I know is that the last time I saw her, she chased me off, as if I was just another dragon. And I haven't been back since".

"So, you admit that there is no longer any part of her, that is human... Do you think she is a risk to other wizards, or Muggles? Is there a chance she could be seen, and risk breaking the Statute of Secrecy?" Questioned Rafial.
"I- I don't think so. There's magic all around the forest she lives in, stopping Muggles from getting too close, and seeing her" reminded Sara.
"Yes. But magic can only do so much. You know her best, do you think she would endanger the lives, of anyone that approached her?"
"She's not a killer... But if someone did enter her territorry, then I can't guarantee that they would be safe"
"What about you? Would you be safe, if you went back there? Would she hurt you, her own daughter?"
"She doesn't see me as her daughter anymore. I'm just a threat, and she would defend herself by any means necessary"
"I see. Thank you, no more questions".