33- The End Of An Era

The Marauders had a fantastic Christmas together at Hogwarts, and the rest of the year was just as wonderful.
Peter's date with Olivia wasn't all that successful, so they didn't arrange any more dates after the dance, though they still remained good friends.
Sirius and Marlene weren't a couple as such, after the dance, though they were very close. So close, that everyone was convinced that they were dating, despite their protests.
Lily and James on the other hand, shoved their realtionship status, down everyones throats, every chance they got. Which annoyed everyone, particularly Sirius, but he was mostly annoyed that he had lost his best friend, at least in his mind.

Once the exams had finished, the Marauders spent their last day at school, in front of the great lake, while enjoying the warmth of the sun, which was shinning down at them, bathing them in light.
"I still can't believe you got rid of the Marauders Map" exclaimed Sirius, as he shuffled to lean against a nearby tree.
"Well what were we going to do with it, once we'd left? Leave it at the bottom of a trunk, collecting dust?" Asked James.
"But we made it. It was our creation. Made by 5 of the most troublesome students of all time. We should have kept it forever"
"Well maybe in the future it will be found by another group of mischief makers, who will use it to make trouble, just as we did"
"But only those with the password, will be able to use it"
"If they truely are mischief makers, then they will try everything to get it to work. I put it in Filch's extremely dangerous draw, so whoever finds it, will know it's important".

"I think it's a lovely idea James. Letting the future generation take over" complimented Sara.
"Thanks" replied James.
"But what about our future generation? Don't you want your kids to use the map?" Questioned Sirius.
"I haven't got any at the moment. And I hope my kids do use it one day. I'm sure they'll be troublemakers like us, and might even find it, without us needing to tell them where it is" answered James.
"James is right. We can't use it anymore, since we won't be here much longer, so we might as well give it away" agreed Peter.
"Yeah but if we-"
"Guys, just give it a rest. This is our last day here, so lets not waste it by arguing" instructed Sara, interupting Sirius's ourburst.

Remus smiled and placed his arm around Sara's shoulders.
"Always such a peace maker" he whispered into her ear.
Sara grinned, and rested her head against his shoulder.
"I'm going to miss this" she sighed, looking out at the beautiful lake in front of them.
"Yeah, it's quite a view" agreed James.
"Not just the view. I mean all of it, Hogwarts, lessons, even detentions. I'll miss it all. I don't even know what my life is, without this place"
"We have had some good memories here. But it's time for us to move on, and explore the rest of the world"
"Move on? I thought you wanted us all to keep in touch"
"I don't mean us. We are all going to stay together, forever"
"Good".

"Things won't be the same though, once we've left here" admitted Remus sadly.
"Do you think we will still be able to best friends, when we aren't at school anymore?" Asked Peter nervously.
"Of course we will. Nothing could break us apart Wormy" answered Sirius.
"Well, I know me and my female friends are going to stay close, since 4 of us are moving into a flat together, in the next week or so" revealed Sara.
"Alice not going to live with you?" Questioned James.
"No. She's going to find a house with Frank straight away. A bit like you and Lily"
"Well we don't have to find a house a such. Since my parents have already offered us the family cottage, in Godric's Hollow"
"Alright for some".

"I'm surprised you and Moony aren't getting a nice little house together" teased Sirius.
"Padfoot!" Gasped Sara.
"What? You two are in love aren't you?"
"Yes, but most people don't leave school, and move in with their lovers straight away... Besides, we can't afford a house right now. The only way I will be able to afford to live in the flat, is because James's parents are paying the rent, until I can get a job... And anyway, Remus wants to move back in with his parents, and spend as much time with them, while he still can"
"Right. Yeah... Sorry about that mate".
"Don't worry about it. They've been sick for a while. It was always going to end this way" replied Remus, slowly.

"How long will you live with your old room mates for?" James questioned.
"I'm not sure. We might not all stay for the same amount of time. Some of us might stay for a few months, and the rest might stay for several years. I guess it just depends on what happens in our lives" answered Sara.
"Well, if you ever need anywhere to sleep, I've got a sofa. You to Moony, you are always welcome, if you need somewhere to stay for a while" offered Sirius.
Sara smiled.
"Thanks for the offer. But I can always go back to the Potters, if I ever end up in a sticky situation" she reminded him.

"And my parents would be happy to have you back. They think of you as their daughter you know" admitted James.
"Hmm. If the three of us were ever at your parents house, at the same time, that's going to make things awkward with Lily. And I don't want to get in between you two" replied Sara.
"You wouldn't be getting in the way. Lily knows we don't see each other like that. And I think my parents will see her differently, than they see you"
"Are they meeting her for the first time, tomorrow?"
"Yeah. They're picking us both up at Platform 9 and 3/4"
"Are you nervous?"
"No, I know both my parents will love her. They are very excited to meet the girl I've been talking about for all these years. I just hope they don't embarress me".

"That's what I've been trying to do all year, but Lily hasn't been phased by anything I've said about you, yet. So I don't think your parents will be able to embarress you" admitted Sirius.
"That's because she really likes you Prongs" revealed Sara.
"You're lucky to have such a nice girl like her" praised Peter.
"Yeah, she really is the only one for me. No girl would ever measure up to her" replied James.
"Gee. Thanks" teased Sara.
"You know what I mean. If I ever dated a girl after Lily, they wouldn't be as good as her"
"I know what you meant James, I was only teasing you. Besides, I don't see you in that way either. I've already got the perfect man for me, and he is right here".
Remus smiled, and kissed Sara lightly on the cheek.

"I guess this is it. The end of an era" sighed Sara, as the sun began to set.
"I guess it is. But it's also the start of a brand new one" reminded James.
"Yep. A whole new world is waiting just out there, for us to enjoy, and I intend on doing just that" announced Sirius.
"I do to, but I don't plan on forgetting anything that has happened in our lives, so far" replied Sara.
"Up until now, my life has been pretty good with you guys, and I just hope this good luck continues" admitted Remus.
"I'm sure it will Moony. We are unstoppable" proclaimed Peter.
"I wouldn't go that far. But it has certainly been an interesting 7 years. And I'm excited to see what we do next" revealed Sara, as she looked up at the horizon.
A moment later, the sun was covered by a dark grey cloud, and if the group had been into Divination, they would have known that something bad, was waiting for them, just around the corner.