two

Margo Baker held her binder close to her white sweatered chest as she walked into the school at exactly 8:35, the same way she did every morning. Her fingers squeezed her binder tightly as she was met with the crowded halls. Though it was a small school, 10 kids walking each direction was a lot for her, in fact, it was exceedingly overwhelming.

As she made her way to her locker, she began to do her box breathing that Marry had shown her last week. She had told Margo that it helped release stress, and after spending her block of  'free time' researching the exercise; Margo had decided she'd try it. So far it was working rather well for her.

When she reached her locker, her heart rate picked up and her box breathing stopped when she saw Edward standing by her locker. The grip on her binder only tightened as she stood still. The way Margo saw it, she had no choice but to go over to him, her special pen was in her locker.

"Hi Margo" Edward smiled lightly at her, making her look at him slightly strangely before her eyes hit the floor.

"Hi Edward" She said, not looking up to meet his eyes as she reached to open her locker, getting the combo right on the first try, like always. Slipping her black backpack off and hanging it on the middle hook, she grabbed her pen and her assignment from last night before slipping the paper into her binder and the pen into her hoodie pocket.

"My family and I were wondering if you'd like to eat lunch with us today" Margo looked up at his face, but still failed to meet her eyes.

"I applaud the use of proper grammar" Margo said, her voice lacking the expression or tone others would have, but her sentance was sincere and Edward knew that. The two stood in an awkward silence which was clearly making Margo uncomfortable as she began to play with her fingers as she shut her locker door.

"How about a compromise?"Margo said,mindlessly beginning to walk to her first-period class, but Edward followed with an acceptable distance beside her.

"A compromise?"Edward chuckled, but she missed the joke of what she had said.

"Yes, I read that they are a useful tool when someone wants to do one thing and the other person wants to do another. The book said it was a good "meet down the middle" action, which I'm not sure works because you really can't apply half and half to anything but numbers and objects with the same value" While Margo's eyes were focused on what was in front of her as they made their way to the English hall, Edward's eyes watched her in admiration.

"And what would you suggest for this compromise?"Edward asked, making her lightly stop in her tracks as her eyes went back and forth fast, they were stopped for only a moment before she kept walking and she spoke again;

"How about, you sit at my table with me instead? I'm not good in large groups of people, or people in general really" Her voice was more matter-of-factly than anything else. The idea of changing her routine gave her a tense feeling, but she was really trying to look past that, It would be nice if she had a friend here, Marry had told her that humans are social beings and that it's needed for her to try; and though Margo knew she was right, based on all of the books she's ready in evolution, she didn't want too.

"I'd like that very much" Margo wasn't sure what Edward was trying to get at, one of her biggest struggles was knowing when someone was being sarcastic or sincere, people had done a lot of rude stuff over the years because she didn't pick up on the sarcasm laced in their voices, it was why she really only trusted her brother.

"Um, okay, I packed extra carrot sticks, you could have them if you want"

"That would be lovely Margo"

"Um, okay, bye"Margo only met his eyes for a nanosecond before she turned around and walked into her English class, leaving Edward smiling in the hall as he watched her leave.