tweleve

"Are you sure you want to do this?"Edward asked, he could hear her heart tump heavy against her chest walls, small beads of sweat gathering on the sides of her forehead as she nodded.

"If not now, I never will learn"She gulped, taking her foot off the break. The teen didn't even have time to move her foot to the gas pedal before she stomped hard on the breaks again; sending both the human and the vampire forward before the back of their heads crashed against the headrest.

"Im sorry, im so sorry!"Margo panicked, her eyes going wide as she turned to look at Edward who had his lips cracked open with a laugh.

"It's okay, don't let it scare you. It's just us and the driveway. Take your foot off the break slowly" Edward instructed, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the steering wheel with everything she could.

"Now just relax your foot and let the car roll down the driveway" Edward instructed, catching a glips as Emmett and Carlisle watching from the balcony.

"This isn't so bad!"Margo smiled, her voice filled excitement as they began to get closer to the road.

"Now, slowly put your foot back on the break" Edward said softly, to anyone else, it would have been clear just by the tone of his voice that the smile on his face couldn't have gotten any bigger. To Margo, it just sounded like her favourite voice.

Not quite as slowly as he would have liked, Margo placed her foot on the break and came to an abrupt stop.

"You're getting better!"Edward praised, watching as her face turned from excited to slightly disappointed.

"Maybe we could do some more another day?"Margo asked, her voice soundly slightly soft as she looked up and held her eye contact with his chin. She didn't want to disapoint him by telling him she'd had enough.

Margo Baker didn't like not being good at things, not when she struggled just being human.

"Of course we can. Do you want to switch?"Edward asked, knowing the answer before the sentance had finished as Margo began nodding her head. Placing the car in Park, Margo took her seatbelt off and moved around to her normal spot, not missing the slight touch of her fingertips as they met while walking to the opposite side. Edward could sense how much more relaxed she was as she leaned back; like it felt right that he was sitting where is and Margo belonged where she did.

The 'car ride' only lasted a few seconds before the boy pulled his Volo into park beside the grey Jeep. The jeep made Margo smile, she had decided that Emmett was one of her favourite Cullens, and no vehicle matched the strong man better than it did.

"Don't tell Alice that"Edward said, laughing at his own joke as Margo looked at him confused.

"Tell Alice what?"

"That Emmett is your favourite of my siblings" Margo looked at him with wide eyes for a second before she let out a breath.

"Right. The whole mind-ready thing. Im still not convinced"Margo said, the smile on her face telling him that she was joking; earning an eye roll from him.

"Yes, I do think that a paper on how the second world war was a ripple effect from the ending of the first is a strong paper idea"Edward told her, watching as Margo squinted her eyes at him.

"That was supposed to be an idea in the works! Maybe I need to get a tinfoil hat or something"Margo told him, her smile as big as his as the two sat in the car, both of them looking like they could have stayed in this moment forever.

"Tinfoil hats are for aliens, not vampires love"

"You could be both for all I know, I am the human after all"Edward wasn't sure he'd ever seen her so happy, as if she was feeling okay with trying to be herself. In a way, Margo just knew that Edward would know when she was joking or not. No one had ever known her the way Edward did.

The two of the laid in Margo's bed later that night, watching The Office as their bodies sat less than an inch apart; their heads touching at the sides.

"Dwight's my favourite character, "Margo told him mindlessly as they watched the episode where there is a bat loose in the office.

"I like Jim and Pam"Edward confessed, making Margo look at him with a small frown.

"But they are mean to him, I mean the poor guy is just trying to follow the rules"Margo expressed, Edward was sure that if his heart was beating; it would have melted at her words.

"I think he knows its all for fun, and you can definatly tell Jim cares about him"

"You think so?"

"Definitely"

"Sometimes I, I feel confused about us" Margo blurted, somewhat randomly after it had gone quiet, her words came out unsure and slightly shaky.

"Why?"Edward asked, both of their voices not reaching more than a whisper. Margo could feel her heart speed up as the words left his mouth.

"Because one day I'm going to wake up, and you're going to be gone. Everything is going off, like, like flashing lights, but Im still here, like my brain knows things I don't. It's frustrating" Margo told him, taking a pause as she felt Edward wrap his fingers around hers.

"I'm not going anywhere Margo Baker" Edward told her, moving so that his whole body was turned to look at her. Normally, a boy would tell a girl much more than that, because she'd need more than that. But Margo didn't. She didn't need long speeches or kisses in the rain; which Margo would most certainly tell you could get you sick. She didn't need big romantic gestures, she needed the opposite actually. Margo needed someone to allow her to be comfortable with herself, to do small, mindless things with. Someone who told her the jokes she missed.

"Okay" She said, not rudely or with any tone of upset, but instead she felt content with his answer, because over the last few months- Edward hadn't given her any reason to distrust his words.

"Hey, Edward?"Margo asked a few seconds later, earning a 'hm' in response as she tightened the lock on their hands.

"Would you, maybe stay?"Margo asked, looking at the clock that sat on her white nightside table. The numbers read "9:35" but Margo could already feel her eyes begin to get heavy as waited for his answer.

"Of course I will"He whispered, giving her the answer that somehow felt right to her before she shut her eyes; the anxiety that crept in every time she was about to go to sleep slowly vanished when Edward whispered 'goodnight' to her as he shut the tv off.

That night was the first time Edward told her a joke she'd missed, that night was the night Margo felt completely safe.

like
comment
follow me
edited/published; 05/05/2019

I know it's short! It's just a cute fluffy chapter before the baseball chapter!