Humanity and Interrupted Kisses

Caroline cried until she couldn't cry anymore, and Klaus stayed and held her. He was still holding her when her phone rang. Caroline was hesitant to answer until she realized it was Bonnie.

"Hey, Bonnie, what's up?" She answered with light sadness.

"Caroline, we have a problem. You need to come over now, and bring Klaus." Bonnie replied urgently.

"Wait, Bonnie, what's wrong?" Caroline asked, looking over to Klaus.

"I can't say over the phone, just please hurry. It's important."

Caroline was about to ask again when she heard Bonnie hang up on her end.

Klaus looked at Caroline. She held her phone, questions forming in her mind.

"What's wrong, love?" He asked.

"I know you overheard the conversation, Klaus." Caroline replied stiffly.

"I did hear it, but I am beginning to recognize the worried look on your face. Tell me." He replied softly.

Caroline looked up at him. Her expression softened. "I'm sorry, Klaus. It's just everything...I feel like everything is crashing down and I don't know how to stop it."

Klaus reached over and grasped her hand. Caroline looked down at their hands joined. She felt a peace enter through her at the touch. A peace she had never felt in a long time. She smiled and sighed.

"You can't let everything get to you, love. I know you think you are strong and you are, but not everything is in your control."

Caroline looked at him like he had just changed color on her. Klaus turned his head to see who she was looking at. He turned back and lowered his head.

Caroline lifted her hand and gently lifted his head to look him in the eye.

"Where has this Klaus been?" She whispered.

Klaus pulled back and gave a questioning look. "What do you mean?"

"I mean the caring, encouraging Klaus. Don't get me wrong it is a great improvement, but I'm just curious."

Klaus sighed. "I told you before, Caroline; every time we are together you bring out my humanity. I thought it was lost a long time ago, until I met you."

Caroline smiled. "Thank you."

Klaus tilted his head to question her. "For what, love?"

"For being here," She softly replied, and then gave a teasing smile. "Just don't get too excited, I'm still too smart to be seduced by you." She finished and stood up.

Klaus chuckled and stood up with her.

"We better get to Bonnie's before she has a coronary." Caroline replied looking down at the broken picture.

Klaus nodded. "I think my brother will make sure that doesn't happen. I think he fancies her, a lot."

Caroline nodded. "You noticed too."

Klaus nodded with a small smile. "It's the first time in centuries Kol has shown any interest in a human besides food and play. The last time was very painful for him. That was when he went on a rampage and I ended up..." He trailed off with remembrance.

"You daggered him" Caroline finished, giving him a sad look.

Klaus nodded looking down at the broken picture, lost in the memory.

"What happened?" Caroline asked softly.

Klaus turned his attention back to Caroline. "He lost her." Was all Klaus would say, and Caroline knew it would be best not to press the issue.

He turned to the door, but paused and held out his arm allowing Caroline to pass through the door first. She smiled at his gentlemanly ways, and giggled as she curtseyed and walked through the door. Klaus shook his head and chuckled at Caroline's childish ways.

~Bonnie's House~

"Will you quit your pacing? You're making me nervous, witch." Kol replied, sitting on the couch watching Bonnie pace back and forth from the window to the couch.

"Watch your tone mister." Bonnie replied back, still pacing.

Kol smirked and stood up to grab Bonnie before she went out of reach. He placed his hands on her arms and held her firmly still so he could look into her eyes.

Bonnie looked up with a huff and then sighed when she looked into his brown eyes.

"Breath, love, they will come." Kol reassured her. He didn't compel her. He had sworn off compelling her when they had grown closer. He didn't want to ruin their relationship with compulsion. Bonnie knew this and was eternally grateful.

She let out a sigh, and smiled at him. "You are incredible, you know." She replied, reaching up to touch his face.

Kol smiled and leaned into her touch. "Tell me something I don't already know, love." He whispered, with a slight tease.

Bonnie let out an exasperated laugh. "How about this, keep it up with the teasing, and you can forget about spending the night." She replied raising her head in defiance and dropping her hand from his face and crossing her arms.

Kol's face changed from teasing to shock. "I was only trying to lighten the mood, love. No need to get hostile."

Bonnie smirked and let out a chuckle. "I love you, Kol Mikaelson." She replied wrapping her arms around him.

It took him a second to realize what happened. She had been teasing him the whole time. He let out a laugh and wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you, little witch, but I do believe I am a bad influence on you. You're picking up my bad habits." He replied pulling back to look in her eyes.

Bonnie smiled. "Not the bad, Kol, only the good. You're not bad." She replied.

"Not with you, Bonnie, I'm not bad with you." He whispered leaning down.

Bonnie raised her head and met him halfway. Their lips met in a fiery confrontation. Kol wanted to deepen the kiss, but wasn't sure if Bonnie was ready. Until Bonnie moaned and opened her mouth, inviting him deeper, Kol followed the lady's request and went further. Bonnie moved her arms to wrap them around Kol's neck to pull him closer. Kol obliged.

They remained in that position until they lost track of time. A few times Kol had to move his lips from Bonnie's, so she could breath, and when she was ready he would return to exploring her mouth. They were so caught up in each other they didn't hear the door opened or even notice the shock and amusement expressions on Klaus and Caroline's faces.

Klaus cleared his throat and Kol and Bonnie pulled apart. Bonnie blushed and Kol gave his brother a glare.

"Brother, you have impeccable timing." Kol replied, with a touch of anger.

Klaus smiled and looked at his brother. "I'd say we got here just in time. Any later, and you would definitely have been embarrassed."

Kol blushed and looked down at Bonnie. She smiled and hid her face in his chest. She lifted her head and looked over to her friend, who hadn't said a word.

Caroline gave her friend a congratulatory smile, and mouthed. "We are so talking later."

Bonnie blushed and let out a giggle.

Bonnie pulled out of Kol's embrace and motioned for them to sit down. As they sat down, the lighten mood from earlier quickly vanished as Bonnie spoke.

"Esther is returning."