Girl Talk and a Reunion

Elena began to take off her jacket and scarf. She was tired from the events of today, and not really in the mood to deal with her two best friends.

"Can this wait until later, Care? I've had a long day."

Caroline shook her head, and Elena noticed Bonnie doing the same.

"This is important, Elena. We know you were with Elijah today." Caroline stated, eyeing Elena carefully.

Elena swallowed. "What if I was? He told me that one of you has been spending time with his brother, so you can't judge me." Elena spat.

"Elena, we are not here to criticize you. We are here to tell you need to stay with Elijah." Bonnie replied, standing up from the bed and walking over to Elena and Caroline. "Something is going to happen, and you need to stay with Elijah."

"Why" Elena asked.

"He can protect you." Bonnie answered.

"So can Stefan and Damon" Elena stated crossing her arms.

"Elena, stop being a brat," Caroline replied, irritated. "We know you like Elijah. You can quit putting up defenses."

Elena sighed in defeat. Caroline was right. Every time she was around her friends she felt the need to keep silent about her feelings towards the Original. It didn't mean she didn't still care about Stefan and Damon, but she knew that she was ripping them apart, and besides Elijah brought out feelings she had never felt before.

She looked up at Caroline and Bonnie and gave a weak smile. She walked by them and sat on her bed. Bonnie and Caroline turned, and watched as their friend leaned against the pillows. They looked at each other and nodded in understanding. They walked over and sat on Elena's bed, waiting for her to respond.

She looked at both of them awhile before she trusted her voice. "Why does Elijah need to protect me?" She whispered.

Bonnie took a deep breath. "Esther is planning something big, and apparently she is going to target the Mikaelson's humanity. You are Elijah's."

Elena looked at Bonnie curiously. "What about her original plan?" She asked, looking from Bonnie to Caroline.

"We stopped her from performing the ritual." Caroline replied.

Elena sat up straight. "Why" She asked, leaning forward, eyeing her friends warily.

"We had to, Elena. She was going to kill them. We had to stop her." Caroline replied, not going into great detail.

"Why, if she had succeeded, we wouldn't have to worry about Klaus or any of the other Originals." Elena stated.

"Elena, Elijah would have died too. Have you forgotten about that?" Bonnie asked.

Elena lowered her head. "I know. That was the one part of the plan I despised, until Elijah told me about Klaus and Care."

Caroline's head jumped and she turned to look at Bonnie. "What did he tell you?" Caroline asked her voice weak.

Elena fiddled with her comforter before she answered. "He told me that you were bringing out Klaus' humanity, and that Klaus has been changing. At first I was appalled at the thought of you and Klaus, especially after everything he has done, but when Elijah told me about how you light up Klaus' world, I remembered how you looked that night at the ball dancing in his arms. Caroline, I'm sorry for the part I played in the plan. I didn't know at the time that you and Klaus were so close. It may take me some time to get used to the idea completely, but I see what Elijah sees. He's your Prince, Care." Elena finished with tears in her eyes.