Mikaelson's Humanity

"Bonnie that is not exactly a news flash." Caroline stated, leaning forward to look at her friend.

Bonnie sighed. "I know, but this time is different. She is planning something big, and I'm not sure what that is."

"How do you know?" Klaus asked, eyeing the witch carefully.

Bonnie looked down at her hands before speaking. "Lily sent me a message."

Klaus and Kol both leaned forward and shouted. "What?"

Bonnie looked at Klaus and then Kol.

"Why didn't you tell me that was who sent you the message?" Kol asked her.

Bonnie lowered her eyes. "I wasn't sure how you would react. She sent me a message saying we had to protect Finn, and to be wary of Tyler because he was now working with Esther."

Caroline leaned back, and put her hands on her face. Klaus saw her movement and leaned back and draped his arm around her shoulders and brought her close to him.

"Caroline?" Bonnie asked, noticing her friend's expression.

Klaus looked at Bonnie and spoke for Caroline. "That mongrel was at her house earlier and almost killed her."

Bonnie closed her eyes in pain at the thought of her friend almost dying.

"I hope you threatened him dear brother." Kol stated, with malice. He didn't want anything to happen to his brother's humanity.

Klaus nodded, but then looked down at Caroline. "I now wish I had torn his head off." Klaus replied with hatred in his voice.

Caroline touched his face, and instantly Klaus' blood went from boiling to simmering. He sighed.

"Speaking of which, where is our dear older brother? I thought you called him." Kol asked Bonnie.

"I did. He said he had something he had to take care of, and for you and Klaus to catch him up later." Bonnie replied.

Kol looked at his brother and then smiled. "I wonder what the something was."

Klaus returned the smile. "I suspect it has something to do with his humanity."

"Quite right, dear brother." Kol remarked with a smirk, and then chuckle.

Klaus smiled, but didn't laugh. He couldn't. It was about time his older brother found someone.

Bonnie and Caroline looked at each other with curious looks at the exchange that happened between the two brothers. They both shrugged and continued with the conversation.

"When is Sage arriving?" Caroline asked Kol, ignoring Klaus' questioning look.

"She should be arriving this afternoon. I must say she was quit adamant about coming when she found out about Finn still being alive." Kol replied with a smile.

Klaus looked down at his free hand and sighed inwardly at the thought of Sage coming.

It was because of her that he had daggered Finn. Looking back now, he regretted it. He now understood how Finn felt when he saw Sage. It was the same way he felt when he saw Caroline. He vowed then that he would never make that mistake again.

"Have you told Finn about her arrival?" Caroline asked Kol again.

Kol shook his head. "I just told him to meet us at the house tonight around six. I told him it had to do with the family. I suspect you and my little witch will be there for the reunion." Kol added with a piercing smile at Bonnie, who blushed and then softly elbowed him. Kol feigned being hurt.

Klaus and Caroline smiled at the sight.

"I can't take him anywhere." Klaus whispered to Caroline.

"I heard that, dear brother." Kol replied.

Klaus laughed, and Caroline relished the sound of his laughter. He seldom laughed, but when he did, a pure unrestricted laugh, Caroline felt more at home.

"What about Esther? What is she planning to do?" Caroline asked when Klaus and Kol finished their scrabble.

Bonnie shrugged. "Lily didn't tell me that. All she said was to protect Finn from the Salvatore's and be wary of Tyler because he is working with Esther. One thing she did stress was to make sure that you not leave Klaus' side for any reason. She said that he was the only one to protect you from Tyler and whatever Esther was planning."

"Why protect me?" Caroline asked, looking from Bonnie to Klaus and then back to Bonnie.

Bonnie gave her a knowing look. "Because you are Klaus' humanity, Caroline, with you in the picture, Klaus is tame." She paused as she took in Klaus dangerous expression. "Sorry Klaus, but it is true, with Caroline here you are calmer. If something were to happen to take her away from you, you would lose your humanity forever."

Caroline leaned on Klaus. He looked down at her and knew the Bennett witch was right.

"Esther knows this. She knows with you in the picture she can't get to Klaus, and her actions won't be justified. She felt guilty about having to kill all of the Originals especially Elijah because he remained moral. Kol has me, now. So that means I'll have to be protected, I suppose."

"Damn right!" Kol replied harshly. "I'm not letting anything or anyone near you."

Bonnie rolled her eyes and sighed before she continued. "Finn has Sage, and Rebekah has the family. If the entire family stays together and their humanity stays intact, Esther won't win."

"But what about Tyler?" Caroline asked, worried for her friend.

Bonnie sighed. "He is the one Klaus will have to protect you from. Lily wasn't too clear on that part. All she said was for you to stay away from Tyler."

Caroline nodded with regret. She hated having to hurt Tyler, but if he was the one to keep her away from being with Klaus, she would have no choice. She did not come back just to have Klaus ripped away again. She was not going to feel that loneliness and emptiness again. She refused.

She fought her feelings for too long, and now that she has finally given into them, she was not going out without a fight.

And if it was a fight Esther wanted it was fight she was going to get.