Feelings, Phone Call, and Destroyed Soul

The air smelled fresh and full of life after the rainstorm the night before. It was early in the morning when Damon entered the garden, Stefan following soon after. Now there they were, Stefan watching his brother pacing back and forth, picking up the river rocks and throwing them as hard as he could into the woods.

"It's been three days, Stefan! She's been gone for three days!" Damon shouted at his brother.

"Klaus is doing everything he can to find her, Damon." Stefan replied, calmly, crossing his arms and leaning forward.

Damon whirled around to face his brother; his blue eyes flashing with danger.

"Well it's not enough is it? She's still missing." He stated, only a few feet away from Stefan, holding out his arms out to his sides, and moving his head back and forth searching the empty space.

"He's not giving up. You know Klaus, when he wants something he doesn't give up." Stefan replied, stepping towards his brother, arms still crossed.

"I can't just sit back while she's missing, Stefan. I have to do something." Damon replied, turning away looking out into the woods.

Stefan narrowed his eyes in speculation, and bowed his eyes. "You really care about her don't you?" He asked, lifting his eyes to watch his brother's reaction.

Damon bowed his dark head and sighed. "I never planned on it." He whispered, but Stefan heard.

Stefan walked towards his brother, and laid his right hand on Damon's shoulder. "We never plan to feel anything for anyone." He whispered.

Damon lifted his head, and looked straight ahead. "I never realized how much until she saved my life. Now, she'll never know."

Stefan smiled. "I'm sure she will, Damon."

Damon shook his head. "I can't tell her, Stefan. She's happy. I just want her to be happy, and if that means she's with Klaus, so be it." He whispered with a pain in his voice.

Stefan moved his hand around Damon's shoulders, so that his arm reached around his brother. "You've changed, brother." He replied with a smile in his voice.

Damon scoffed. "Maybe, I have." He paused for a moment considering his words. "I don't like it." He replied, sarcastically with a roll of his eyes.

"What's not to like, Damon? You are becoming more human."

Damon jerked his head around to face Stefan. "Watch your tongue, little brother." He threatened, narrowing his blue eyes.

Stefan smirked. "You never wanted this, Damon. You wanted to stay human, if I hadn't forced you..." Stefan trailed off, his smile failing.

Damon pulled away from Stefan and his gaze softened. "I forgave you a long time ago, Stefan. You wanted me for eternity as your brother, and you got me. I understand that. If I could take back what I did to you for the past century, I would. You're my brother, my family." He replied, with a sad smile.

Stefan smiled. "You know, you have a bigger family now, not just me anymore." He replied, his eyes brimming with a teasing light.

Damon laughed and turned his head again. "We need to find her, Stefan, and soon." He stated, his mood changing like the winter breeze coming through the garden.

Stefan gave him a sad smile, and clasped his right hand on Damon's left shoulder. "We will, Damon. I have a feeling Klaus won't give up easily nor will you." He replied, with knowledge beyond his years.

Damon nodded. "She won't give up either, Stefan. She's strong." He whispered, looking out into the woods searching trying to catch a glimpse of something, anything that resembled the blonde.