Chapter 1 - Alpha

"Percy," Annabeth called as he passed by. "Have you got a minute?"

Percy's jaw tightened slightly as he glanced back to where the other demigods in his group were making their way out of the building. "Yeah," he said, "sure. I've got a few."

Kronos and his army were marching down the streets towards them, still several blocks away, but Percy wanted to get a defensive line set before he arrived. He could always spare a few minutes for Annabeth though.

The other demigod smiled sadly at him. "It's your sixteenth, right?"

Percy shifted slightly, defensive. "Yeah. Soon." In like half an hour but that really didn't matter. "Why? The prophecy-"

"Not the prophecy," Annabeth swiftly assured him. "You should be presenting," she quietly said. "It may not be wise to fight while that may happen. You don't know what could happen."

Percy sighed. "Annabeth, I can't just sit back. Kronos is advancing with them. I've got to face him."

"Not if that means you get yourself killed because you can't concentrate on the matter at hand," she carefully explained. "If you end up an alpha or omega, you could be easily distracted."

Percy frowned. "Annabeth, I know, alright. But I've got to do this. I have to – I have to face him." He couldn't explain it, but at the thought of the Titan King, he felt an odd aggressiveness. "No-one else can."

"Just... be careful."

"I will," Percy promised. If he did end up presenting on time, then he'd have dozens of other demigods around him in the event that things turned foul. He doubted he would, since Chiron was convinced that Percy wasn't a rare omega – like the centaur was. Annabeth had presented over the summer as a beta. "You too."

Annabeth nodded slightly to him before running off to help.

Percy reached for Riptide in his pocket, a comforting weight, before rushing after his own group of demigods. By the time he had pushed his way outside, the defensive line was formed. Kronos – still in Luke's body – stood up front, with Chiron in his path. Percy wrinkled his nose slightly at the smell that reached him.

"What?" Thalia demanded with a scowl. "It's not me, right?"

"No," Percy said quietly. "Something smells wrong. Sweet but bitter."

Thalia snorted. "That's an interesting way of putting it. That's Luke's scent as an alpha... and Kronos' scent mingling in."

That would explain the pervasive feeling in his stomach. Something screamed at Percy that it was wrong, the smell. "I can smell their scents?" He asked, stunned. Huh, maybe he should listen to Annabeth more often.

"Yeah. Congrats," Thalia drawled. "Go get 'em, alpha."

Alpha? Percy blinked. "Right," he agreed dumbly. And then he blinked again, realising that Chiron was about to fire at Kronos and probably get himself killed and instantly Percy's senses roared into overdrive. He firmly planted himself between Chiron and the Titan. Kronos did not look happy, his hand tightening around the shaft of his scythe.

His glowing golden eyes narrowed. "You wish to die first?" He demanded.

Percy uncapped Riptide. "No," he growled lowly, "but you will if you touch them."

"Percy," Chiron sighed from behind him even as Kronos' nose flared, scenting the air around him. "That's not very wise."

If it were possible, Kronos' expression darkened further as he smelt Percy's new scent. He tensed, knuckles whitening and a low growl rumbling from between his lips. His own scent became stronger and thicker in the air around Percy in response, that bizarre mix of Luke's scent with the Titan's own. "You're an alpha," he said almost accusingly.

"Yeah," Percy said flatly, "so back off."

The Titan wrinkled Luke's nose as if smelling something foul. He bristled, casting his gaze past Percy's shoulder, towards the Empire State Building behind him.

"Percy," Thalia hissed as she grabbed his arm, trying to pull him back slightly, but he wouldn't budge. "Come on."

Annabeth appeared at his other elbow, the beta's grey eyes fierce as she glared across at Kronos. "Percy, think before you act here please."

He knew what she meant. For now, Kronos couldn't attack Percy – even if he definitely looked like he wanted to – but if Percy attacked him, then the demigod was fair game. Percy lifted his head. "What – you want me to let him past?"

Thalia's jaw tightened. "No," she said firmly. "Definitely not. Just be careful," she implored.

"Yes," Kronos drawled as he took several steps forward, "be careful, Jackson." His lip curled in distain as he looked down at him – being two inches taller than Percy he could do that. "We don't want any incidents."

Percy stared at the Titan in utter disbelief. "Incidents? You're marching on New York, but you don't want any incidents?" What did the Titan consider to be an incident? There were trenches carved into the road and skyscrapers had been toppled into the street – that wasn't an incident? His rage grew – this was his city – and with it his scent grew stronger.

Luke's eyes flicked abruptly from gold to blue and he stumbled. Percy instinctively lifted Riptide, blinking in confusion as he watched Luke steady himself with a low groan. The son of Hermes sighed, forcing his grip on the scythe to loosen. "Damn it, not again," he groaned.

Percy stared. "What? Luke – where's – what?"

Luke sighed. "Thanks, Perce. Really," he said, his voice back to his own and no longer Kronos'.

"What just happened?"

"I think Kronos just decided he wasn't going to deal with a newly-presented alpha," Luke explained cheerfully, observing Percy with a crooked smile. "It's horrible – one minute I'm in shotgun, the next I've got my hands on the steering wheel and we're about to crash. He seems to enjoy doing that to me. The bastard."

"Oh," Percy said. "What-"

"Congrats, Percy," Luke drawled. "Olympus stands for another day. With Kronos not cooperating we'll have to come back later." He turned to squint at the sunrise. "At sunset," he decided. "After all, it's your sixteenth today, right? Gotta end it today, Jackson." The other alpha smiled rather smugly at Percy, making it absolutely clear that it was a challenge.

Percy bristled. "Coward," he growled. "Just because Kronos has backed off, you're gonna do the same?"

Luke smiled. "Kronos has his past experiences with arrogant alphas. We'll be back after you've had time to consider the dangers of openly challenging a Titan."

"You're not a Titan."

"I'd say I'm half of one right now." Luke smirked, and then turned his back on Percy.

"Come on," Annabeth said, relaxing slightly as she watched Luke merge amongst the Titan Army. "You've given us more time at least."

"And irritated them both," Chiron said tiredly.

"You weren't going to shoot at him, were you?" Percy demanded. "He'd have killed you."

"Percy," Chiron sighed, "I was made immortal to protect and train the generations of demigods. If that means facing my father, then yes. I would have." His tail flicked nervously. "Come. We have a brief respite," he said as he watched the Titan Army – looking rather astounded at the sudden change in orders – turn and march back up the street. "We must use it."