Chapter 42 - Epirus

The demigods had all agreed to leave Coach Hedge on the ship, just in case they needed the ballistae as a last resort.

The Argo II hovered a hundred or so metres away from the ruins, purple lightning flashing intermittently.

"Annabeth could be coming through at any time," Nico muttered. "We need to be there when she does."

Jason raised the Roman standard. "We'd better get started," he said, gaze lingering on the ruins on the hillside beneath them and the dark storm the rumbled overhead. "Something tells me we don't have much time."

--

Annabeth had begged and pleaded with Luke to cut the chains, but his loyalty to the Titans – and Kronos – was firm. No matter what Annabeth said, the chains remained.

After the third time Annabeth had tried to run, hoping to get away from Luke and Hyperion if only so she could find a weapon to cut the chains with, Hyperion had simply picked her up and flung her over his shoulder. She had struggled and hammered her fists against his back, but the Titan seemed entirely unfazed.

The demigod was surprisingly relieved to take her weight off her aching feet, especially her twisted ankle now swollen so terribly that she could barely move her foot. It wasn't the best situation, but she doubted Hyperion would care if she mentioned it to either him or Luke. So instead Annabeth settled for glaring at Luke over Hyperion's shoulder.

The traitorous son of Hermes didn't seem fazed in the slightest and flatly returned with his own scowl.

Hyperion led the way through the horde of monsters hollering with savage glee, scrapping with each other for the chance to fling themselves into the chasm. Luke kept close behind them, sword ready to slash at any that tried for an easy meal. The series of guards staggered around the Doors trying to keep some semblance of order barely even glanced towards Hyperion before stepping aside for the Titan.

The Lord of Light shifted Annabeth on his shoulder. "Remember to keep your mouth shut," he said. "Else all of the air will be sucked out of your lungs. I am supposed to deliver you alive, so do try not to scream." He shifted closer to the Doors of Death, purple tendrils of energy reaching out towards them. Gooseflesh rose on Annabeth's skin as it brushed over her.

"Luke, the chains–"Annabeth started, panicking. Hyperion smiled cruelly, and then tossed her down into the chasm before she could finish.

Annabeth screamed.

--

Bob and Nico led the way underground. Being the ones closest attuned to death – Iapetus having been the Titan equivalent of Hades regarding ruling the Underworld in Kronos' stead.

They descended down, past the ruins of an old Greek manor house and onto a black marble staircase. Nico brushed a hand over the walls, looking to be right in his element.

Jason shifted the Roman standard in his hands. The lion was giving off a faint glow, standing proud across from the frozen jaguar. He swallowed, tightening his grip.

"Relax," Piper murmured to him. She smiled faintly. "We've got this," she promised.

Jason glanced over to where Bob scanned the walls, a frown on his face as he stood next to Nico. His silver hair seemed to glow.

"I hope so," Jason muttered. The only ones whom seemed entirely at home were Nico and Bob, not that it was a surprise that was the case. "But who knows what will happen if we don't make it." Jason hesitated. "And... Bob. What if something clicks back into place, what if some of his memories return?"