Chapter 26 - Reunion

It was with a good bit of luck that Annabeth or Piper weren't killed. Luck, and a meat-shield in the form of Luke.

Luke brandished Backbiter at the unarmed Romans to keep them back as the three demigods raced across the city to reach the flying ship.

Annabeth and Piper climbed up first so Luke to protect their backs, and then he leapt for the ladder and raced after them.

On the deck, they found a familiar black-haired, green eyed boy standing over Leo.

"- you fire on the city?" Percy demanded angrily. Jason was trying to calm Percy down, but wasn't very successful.

"Hey, Jackson," Luke called. "Why are you wearing a bed sheet?"

Percy tensed, whipping around to face the three questers. "Luke, Annabeth!" Annabeth flushed slightly as he hugged her, causing Luke to roll his eyes.

"Hi, I'm Percy Jackson," Percy said to Piper, sticking his hand out to her.

Piper nodded slightly. "Piper Mclean."

"Nice to meet you," Percy said.

"Pleasantries later, Jackson," Jason called over his shoulder. "We've got eagles incoming."

Percy shook his head. "Right. Yeah. Hey, imp, can you get us out of here?"

"My name's Leo," Leo grumbled. He seemed completely bewildered, eyes flicking between Jason and Percy. "But yeah. Sure."

"Sooner the better, Leo," Jason said, raising his hand and causing lightning to spark in the sky. He direct streaks towards the incoming eagles, trying to divert and not kill.

Luke looked around at the demigods on the deck, noticing the two Roman demigods not yet introduced. Eight of them. Luke wasn't stupid, he knew he wasn't one of the Seven. He didn't want to be anyway, not while Kronos was still off running around doing his own things – Luke should be with his liege lord.

"Uh, yeah," Percy said. "Greeks, meet Hazel and Frank," Percy said, grinning at the two Roman demigods. "They're awesome."

Luke rolled his eyes.

"Luke," Percy fixed his gaze onto the son of Hermes. Luke's skin crawled under the intensity of that gaze, and he hadn't missed that Percy hadn't given him the greeting he'd given Annabeth. Percy paused briefly, seemingly trying to find the words to say, before he huffed. "Kronos?"

Luke snorted. "Sulking for the better part of seven or so months now."

Percy seemed faintly relieved to hear that. "He going to be dropping in?"

"I may be able to convince him," Luke mused. Percy's gaze darkened slightly at that, and Luke grinned in response. No doubt the other alpha despised knowing that Kronos could answer Luke's call potentially even before his alpha's. 

Percy slumped. "Try. Please." He frowned slightly at Luke. "It's been too long."

New Rome was falling away beneath them, the ship shuddering as it took off. "We've taken heavy damage," Leo called to them all.

And then there was the satyr chaperone. Luke scowled in his direction. "Hey, Valdez," Luke called. "There any showers here? We need a wash." He gestured to Annabeth and Piper.

Leo nodded. "Yeah." He gave Luke a detailed description of how to get to the showers on the Argo II.

Once Luke had showered and hunted down some clothes that weren't splattered with sea monster gunk, he took out the sea serpent fangs. Luke started a little fire using a match and burnt each fang in offering to Kronos, muttering thanks as he did so. At the end, he added, "And Percy is kind of desperate to see you, by the way. I think he's taken the separation harder than you have." There was no sign that Kronos was listening – wherever he was – but Luke knew he'd heard.