Chapter 40 - The Moly Plant

It took nearly four hours to reach the Ideon Andron on foot, located on the east side of Mount Ida. The demigods had all agreed that approaching from the open sky – Zeus' storm still ongoing – with a giant trireme would be far too obvious. If they wanted to rescue Amalthea they needed to do so without being seen.

Jason's gaze lingered on the standard he held in his hand, lingering at the mouth of the cave system.

"It wouldn't be a good idea to use it," Hazel pointed out.

Nico nodded in agreement, dark eyes firm. "Rhea's side of the standard has been proven to cause earthquakes. Good on an open battlefield, not so good in a cave."

Jason knew that, of course. Using the standard down in the cave system would be tantamount to a death sentence. He sighed, but settled the standard on his back. "Right," he said. "Everyone ready?"

Nico looked like he'd rather not enter the cave which no doubt held Enceladus, since he'd had his own experience with Otis and Ephialtes. "Let's get this over with," he said.

--

Of all things that could happen, Annabeth had never considered meeting Tartarus himself to be one of them. The Primordial towered over them, silver eyes burning.

"Stinking Pit," the dark god rumbled, his voice – if it could even be called that, with how it seemed to echo from everywhere around them – was entirely flat. "Such crude words, step-son. One could almost believe that you don't appreciate everything that I have done for you Titans, despite none of you being mine."

Hyperion shook his head. "Oh, no," he assured the Primordial, rather wary as he carefully picked his words. "We definitely appreciate everything that you've done for us. Helping us reform for one, that's very helpful."

"That was because your mother asked nicely," Tartarus rumbled. "And the sex with her is good."

Hyperion cleared his throat. "I'm sure it is," he said, looking distinctly unsettled. No doubt at the thought of Tartarus and Gaea having sex. Even Titans seemed to not want to know about their mother's sexual escapades. Not that Annabeth could blame him.

Luke was opting to stay quiet, though Annabeth could still feel the point of his half-steel half-celestial bronze sword resting against her back.

"We were actually on our way back to the surface," Hyperion added. "Mother calls."

Tartarus rumbled with laughter, the grating sound echoing from the landscape around them and shaking like boulders crashing against each other. "Does she not always call? Run back to her little Titan," he said, voice dropping but Annabeth couldn't call it a whisper. "Run back to your mother, but do not forget the terms of our agreement. For every ounce of suffering I lose by allowing you and your insufferable brethren to simply leave, I must be owed back. In one way or another."

Hyperion paled, and he bowed low to the dark god. "I'll be sure to pass on the message to Kronos," he promised. "But when we win, I assure you, the Olympians will keep you satisfied for a very long time."

"I should hope so," Tartarus growled, his form splitting apart. His voice whispered at the three from all over the Pit. "For your own sakes. Lest I be very displeased."

--

The first chamber was a large cavern, empty aside from the corpses of nine minor gods. Golden ichor splatters the walls, the floor and there are even a few splotches on the ceiling far overhead. The mortal tourists in the cavern slip and slide through the mess, unaware that the surface is covered in immortal blood. Jason gaped in disbelief as Hazel covered her mouth in horror.