Kids, Cyclops, and Spiders Oh My

Despite running as fast as they could manage and responding promptly to the still ringing alarm, Jason and Alex still weren't the first to arrive at the battle.

The first was around fifteen legionaries spread thin trying to push back the monsters that had somehow gotten past Camp's borders. The legionaries were joined here and there by civilians who had no doubt once been members of the fulminata themselves, they were armed with makeshift weapons and odd trinkets that they took to bashing their enemies heads in with random trinkets. Some such weapons seemed to include kitchen knives, a few frying pans, chairs, and a few of the younger kids were armed with handheld slingshots full of rocks. Alex even could have sworn she saw a University textbook thrown somewhere in that mix that turned a soaring monster into gold shimmery dust.

Huh, guess school really was deadly.

In the chaos, the cousins really couldn't help but stop to stare in shock. "I don't understand," Alex mutters disbelievingly, "How did they even get as far as city limits? The guards or the campers even should have stopped them, right?"

Alex was looking for some kind of confirmation or explanation from the boy beside her but instead, all she received were Jason's lips etched in a firm line. When he turned to her his eyes had gone cold and his voice sharp like daggers. "Find as many of the legion as you can in the city and split them all into three groups, left and right flank, and middle. Push the enemy as far back towards the checkpoint into the city as you can. Protecting civilians is the main priority, New Rome has been a safe place for demigods since way before our time and I intend to keep it that way. I'll convince Terminus to lift the weapon ban temporarily, our lives may depend on it. Seeing as this many campers slipped by him with blades in all the mess I hope he doesn't kick up too much of a fuss."

Unknowingly throughout his orders, Alex's back had straightened with her standing at attention to his words. When finished she nodded respectfully but her superior was already running off to complete his own task.

The daughter of Poseidon grasps at the necklace dangling from her neck and Tyfó̱nas, her sword appears in her hand. She is immediately thrust into battle with what she recognized as a cyclops, he had large meaty hands that held a wooden club firmly and his one eye was glistening in anger.

He comes at her fairly quickly for his large size swinging his club straight at her head. Alex ducks seeing the attack coming and slides in between his legs praying she manages to keep her eyes from looking up his sheepskin skirt as she does so. Her sword comes up with her as she stands to slash at his bare ankles, she supposes monsters didn't make shoe or sock shopping a priority.

The cut was small but went deep enough to leave a steady stream of blood gushing from the injury she created. The cyclops roared in anger and raises his club again to make another attempt at killing her, this time swooping it to the side seeking to wack her away into the side of a nearby building. Alex knows that the club is coming but the attack would be much harder to avoid, she was standing too close to step away and the attack was coming in too fast to drop under it. Processing this took only a few seconds, just enough time for her to run backward away from the incoming attack and jump.

Under normal demigod circumstances, Alex would have been crushed by the incoming wooden club with a side of broken bones and death. Yet she found herself clinging onto the deadly weapon while the cyclops cheered when seeing the girl nowhere in sight. It was not the first time Alex was saved by her strange ability to force wind to push her forward great distances but each time left her feeling even more grateful than the last. It was not a child of Neptune ability, in fact it seemed not too unlike Jason's own godly power.