Chapter 12

He Changning shrugged his shoulders without a care, "Once you've made up your minds, inform me right away." Completely ignoring the Yin family's twisted expressions, he got up and headed to his room. "Oh, right, I've found a lawyer and settled the declaration. It'll be here tomorrow. Have a look at it, if there's no objection remember to sign it." With that, he left without turning back again.

Elder Yin jumped to her feet in anger as she screamed and shouted at Changning, how heartless, how dishonorable, how despicable he was. But even if she tirelessly continued her scolding for three days and nights, it would not change anything.

Yin Zhinian lowered his head without saying a word. In fact, he had already understood the situation, that old Madam Shang and young master Shang would not let the Yin family interfere with Changning's betrothal gifts. Also, Changning had no plans to let them manage those businesses. So, nothing would change no matter how much they argued. No matter how his mother and wife hurled abuse at him, it would not solve anything. Instead it would push Changning further away from them, or, even worse, make it into an irrevocable situation. He could vaguely guess that Changning had been giving him a message throughout the whole incident; that the very moment he stepped out of the Yin family, he would never, ever return. He had completely lost his son.

Retreating to his room, Changning summarized the whole incident to Aunt Qin. In order to not let Aunt Qin worry, he only picked those unimportant matters and briefly mentioned them to her. Seeing that Aunt Qin was reassured, he then dismissed her to rest for the day.

With the setting sun in the background, the early evening arrived. Scattered across the darkened sky was dotted with stars that brightened the night. Quiet as it was, the cool night breeze wound its way through, blowing away all troubles and replacing them with comfort.

Memories of what happened earlier flashed through his mind; old Madam Shang's sharp decisiveness, Shang Yushang's calm and reserved manners, Zhang Guozhang's capable and experienced disposition as well as Madam Shang who didn't speak much, but it was clear that she was not easy to handle as well. Marrying into such a family, would everything really go smoothly?

What did old Madam Shang mean by giving those extravagant gifts? Changning knew how much he was worth as a person. Even if it was meant to compensate him, not everyone could handle that number of gifts. Then, what was it that made old Madam Shang do that?

Also, all of Shang Yushang's actions today were puzzling for Changning. In his memory, today was the first time he had ever met Shang Yushang. He did not think that he had such great charms that he could make a man that had seen and met all kinds of women from different backgrounds, and even rich young masters, fall in love with him at first sight. Then what did all of his actions today mean?

The thought of him holding his hands, giving comfort and support, the concern and doting look in his eyes – it wasn't that he hadn't noticed them, but these baseless feelings made him feel paranoid. He rubbed his forehead and decided that he should make his stand and have a discussion with Shang Yushang.

Once decided, he picked up his phone and dialed Shang Yushang's number. Two rings later, the call was picked up. A deep attractive voice came from the other end, "Hello, Changning."

He Changning calmed his emotions, "Hm, it's me."

"What's wrong?"

"Hm, I need to talk to you."

"Alright, tomorrow morning nine a.m., I'll come pick you up."

"It's okay, just tell me the address. I'll go there by myself."

"Wait for me."

Until the moment he heard the end tone from his phone, Changning realized that before he got the chance to say anything, the call was over. He blinked dazedly. "What an overbearing person."