Chapter 11: Understanding and Confrontation

I had just finished my English essay when I heard the much-dreaded sound of the door opening

"Jihye come downstairs!"

I could feel myself begin to tremble and it took all my willpower to walk down the stairs. I strode past the neatly stacked suitcases and into the living room where my parents sat.

Taking a seat on the couch across from them I tried my best to prepare for the words I might not want to hear.

"Jihye, I know I haven't been the best father and before we start this conversation I just want you to know that we love you very much."

I could feel my eyes begin to water as I waited for them to continue. My mom sighed, running a hand through her jet black hair.

"In my mid-twenties I was diagnosed with infertility. I couldn't bear the thought of not having children so your father and I went to the Sydney orphanage in hopes of adopting. When we asked about you the lady told us your mom had left you there claiming she didn't have the financial means to feed another mouth."

A sad smile made its way onto her face. "You were a twin she said and because you were the last to leave the womb she decided to give you up. That's all the social worker knew and because of that, we came to the conclusion that you were a worthy addition to our family. Another womans loss is another woman's gain after all."

I couldn't stop the tidal wave of emotions from overcoming me and allowed the salty liquid to stream down my face.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

My dad placed a comforting hand on my knee. "We thought it might be too much for you to handle and you might become overwhelmed by the thought of being abandoned by your birth parents."

"We really do love you though and raised you as if you were our own, so I hope this doesn't change our relationship." my mom muttered and I could see her not so subtly wipe away the tears in her eyes.

I wrapped my arms around my parental figures and I knew that they understood my answer. Love is what made a family and even if I doubted my mom's affection towards me and my importance to my dad, they were still my everything.

After the short sob fest, I decided to go and get cleaned up. Trudging up the stairs I couldn't help but contemplate certain things.

My birth parents and twin could still be out there somewhere and from what my mom told me over the phone earlier I had been the owner of blue eyes at birth.

These things intrigued me but I knew pursuing them would only lead to information I could live without.

I finally laid down onto the soft mattress of my bed and allowed the comforting feeling of sleep to overcome me.

The next day, the Monday blues hit me like a truck. My back ached from the awkward sleeping position I had managed to get into in the middle of the night and my hair was a knotty mess.

Making my way over to the bedside table to retrieve my phone, I was stunned to see an omelet waiting on my bedside table.

I picked up the small note neatly folded beside the eggy goodness. 

Have a great day

-mom

I raised an eyebrow, skeptical at the sudden act of kindness. The last time I had gotten an omelet from her was when my teacher complimented me on my adding and subtracting skills in elementary.

So I concluded that she still felt guilty about last night. An emotion I had previously thought her incapable of comprehending.

I was undeniably grateful though that she had provided tasty food for my stomach. After scarfing down the yummy meal I made my way outside.

"Princess!"

I turned to Yoongi rolling my eyes before offering him a wave. He shot me a gummy smile return before disappearing into his house.

I shrugged searching for sight of my form of transportation, my mouth widened in horror when I realized that both my parents had taken their cars to work leaving me without a way to get to school.

"Why are you staring at the road like that?"

I made my way across the grass to the mint-haired boy twiddling my fingers nervously. "Do you think you could give me a ride to school?"

A shit eating grin made its way onto his pale face. "I dunno you haven't exactly been the nicest to me lately."

I pursed my lips together, hoping that he would say yes.

"But I suppose I could bless you with a ride from Min Yoongi."

Ignoring his obnoxious behaviour, I allowed a relieved smile to creep its way onto my face.

I slid into the pasty boys car and was appalled by his next words. "Want some coffee?"

"No thanks the last time you gave me coffee, I almost ended up comatose."

"Aw you're no fun, you hang out with all my strange friends and you won't even indulge in some of my magical coffee."

"Actually most of your friends are pretty nice except for Namjoon, he's a douche."

I thought for a moment. "And I haven't actually seen Seokjin since the bubble tea shop."

"Well I do admit Namjoon is a little bit overbearing and insensitive, but once you get to know him he's really not a bad guy. Seokjin, on the other hand, is usually quite busy so that's probably why you haven't seen him."

"Well, Namjoon has yet to be redeemed as an ass in my eyes so we'll have to wait and see."

"And about those tweets posted on your account-"

I cut him off. "You actually think I'm petty enough to cyber bully him!"

Yoongi rolled his eyes clearly annoyed by my interruption. "What I was going to say was, I don't believe you would write those and I was going to look into it for you."

I let out an awkward laugh. "You're a hacker?"

"I guess you could say I'm good with my fingers," he winked.

"Ew, that's such a Jimin thing to say!"

A laugh erupted from his lips and I found myself joining in.

We soon arrived at the school and as soon as I entered the school I was taken by surprise. My least favourite giant had slammed me into the lockers, a sharp pain flourishing in my lower back.

"What the hell Namjoon!" I yelled, worried at the pain in my back and the sudden disappearance of the occupants of the hall.

"I told you to stay away from them, you almost got Jungkook in trouble and you're stringing the boys along. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish Song Jihye, but just know one wrong move and you're dead."

My leg swung up coming into contact with his crotch. I wasn't about to allow this guy to walk all over me for the second time.

A menacing growl left his mouth and he doubled over in pain.

"Don't threaten me RM."

He glared at me through half-lidded eyes, obviously not appreciating my mockery of the name he was ever so proud of.

"What are you doing!" 

For once in my life, I was thankful to hear the voice of Byun Baekhyun. I knew that once Namjoon recovered he could definitely overpower me. 

The angry silver-haired boy ignored Baekhyun's question storming away in a huff.