Chapter 18: Hidden Cameras and the four rebellions

"How does Yoongi live with you guys, if he lives with his parents and wouldn't that mean they have abilities as well?" I questioned

The orange-haired boy puckered his lips in silent contemplation. "It's not really my place to tell you this, but Yoongi was adopted. His adoptive parents don't really care where he is as long as he's there when they need to parade him around like a trophy."

I recalled when I had first met him and felt an unexplainably ominous feeling. Perhaps it had been more so from Yoongi's parents than himself? I now felt a deep sense of disgust when I remembered them boasting about the mint-haired boy's many accomplishments.

After taking a minute to stomach the new information, I asked my next question, I hoped it would come off as a less intrusive one. "What type of abilities do you guys have?"

"Well," he started, "I have earth manipulation, Taehyung has water manipulation, Jungkook electricity manipulation and Namjoon has super strength. That makes us imperium. Yoongi has mind manipulation, Seokjin telepathy and Jimin can teleport making them partum."

He furrowed his eyebrows, adjusting his hand on the wheel. "You, on the other hand, have pyrokinesis I think? Which is kind of weird because it's kind of a mix between being a partum and imperium which happens very rarely."

He pulled into the driveway and leaned over to whisper in my ear. "You would be called an aequalis but that must remain a secret between us and Bangtan, many others in our society rebels or not would kill to have an aequalis in their ranks," he warned.

"And remember not to tell anyone about your abilities or the secret society."

I nodded, understanding the negativity that would come out of telling people, whether I trusted them or not. Namjoon would probably have mine and whoever I told heads on a silver platter.

Hoseok's serious expression broke out into a cheerful smile at my acceptance and he promised to see me tomorrow.

Exiting his car, I immediately missed the warmth of the heater as the chilly October air nipped at my skin.

I watched as his car sped off into the distance and I crept into my house hoping that my parents were already asleep.

But to my dismay, the shrill voice of my mother rang out into the previously silent room. "Song Jihye why the hell are you back at 12 o'clock!"

"Umm, I got lost?"

"For 8 hours!"

"Yes?"

"Your father and I texted you about a billion times and the school called us to say that you missed your last period class."

I gulped remembering that I hadn't looked at my phone since the bowling alley.

"I'm honestly really sorry, I skipped last period to go to the park because I was tired and I guess I must've fallen asleep on a bench, I came home the minute I woke up."

I tried to ignore the guilt tightening my chest as I lied.

She sighed running a hand through her charcoal locks, and I couldn't help but catch the faint gloss of tears in her eyes.

"Just don't do it again, I thought you had ran away." She scolded, though the slight tremble in her voice gave away how she really felt.

"Because I'm adopted," I spoke softly.

She merely nodded, her red painted lips tugged into a straight line.

"I'm not going to leave because of that, your still my parents."

I was slightly stunned as she moved across the room to embrace me.

I hugged her back, overjoyed to receive the physical affection I had lacked for so long.

She pulled away a moment later, ordering me to head to bed so I wasn't tired tomorrow.

I watched as she padded up the stairs as a thought suddenly entered my head.

Hadn't Bangtan put up a camera in the living room?

I walked into the dark room and watched as the lights flickered to life.

I strolled over to the corner to the lamp beside the couch noticing that something seemed to be poking out of the top.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was indeed a very small camera. I picked up the tiny device and placed it in the palm of my hand contemplating my options.

I could crush it and eliminate the invasion of privacy or I could leave it because what if something bad did happen?

It seemed that these council members where rather smart and I didn't want to risk my family's safety, so I compromised and moved the camera to the front door. Just in case someone ever tried to break in.

Feeling satisfied I made my way into the confines of my room and was satisfied to allow myself to drift off into dreamland.

I was just about to fall asleep when I remembered something very important.

A certain someone had known about imperium and partum.

My eyes snapped open.

Hopping up from my bed I hurriedly dialled the boy's number on my nearly dead phone.

"Jihyeeeee why are you calling me so late?"

"Who are you Byun Baekhyun?"

He sighed. "I suppose you've figured it out huh?"

"Was it Namjoon who told you?"

I paused. "Yeah, it was him." ,

"I wanted to tell you but I suppose he beat me to it." I could imagine him pouting on the other side of the line.

"Well as you already know I'm part of Exo another segment of the four rebellions."

I raised an eyebrow, intrigued by this new information. "And what are the four rebellions again?"

I prayed that I didn't sound too suspicious. "Well, there's us, Bangtan, Red Velvet and Iz*one. Didn't he tell you that?"

"He did but I forgot," I muttered sheepishly.

"Well," he chuckled. "The four rebellions all know who each other are and I assumed since Bangtan had taken interest in you, you must be of our race. I was hoping to recruit you before they did."

"Oh," I simply muttered. It seemed that everyone was only interested in me because of my abilities.

"I'm assuming you've already joined Bangtan if you know about me, so I hope we can still be friends!"

I honestly didn't even know we were friends in the first place but I agreed nonetheless. After hanging up, I was undeniably irked that Namjoon had succeeded in lying to me once again.