Chapter 5: Brother

•Matthew•

****

It took a while but somehow, Ivan managed to coax Alfred into returning to the meeting room.

"Russia, why can't you just leave me be?" Alfred asked, a little annoyed as he looked up at the Slav, who had a small smile on his face. "Because, I am your friend!" The Russian answered happily as they walked down the hall.

Alfred frowned a little. Friend? Russia? Friend?

"Since when?" America asked, picking his sleeve. Ivan stopped walking, putting a hand up to his chin, rubbing it as if he were deep in thought. "Hmm...maybe just two minutes ago?" He said, a smile still on his face.

Alfred's face burned. "H-hey! Just because I shared a moment of...whatever the hell happened there--it makes us friends? The hell man? I'm the U.S. You're Russia. We're supposed to be enemies! And yet you're calling me a friend! Stop messing with me, dammit!!"

Frustrated tears had gathered in Alfred's eyes as he spoke, his chin clearly trembling.  Ivan dropped his hand, chuckling softly. "Silly Alfredka. Just becomes we're enemies doesn't mean that I'd ignore you when you're in a very tight spot in your life." He said and patted the American's head. "Our relationship is very confusing, I can say so myself. If you want to label me, just call me a comfort buddy, or some other term you call a person who'd be there to make you feel better."

America sniffled, wiping his eyes. "You're so fucking weird and confusing. One moment you're my greatest rival and the next, you're a mother hen." He mumbled, a small smile on his face. Russia grinned wider. "So I've been told. I am the Motherland after all."

They finally arrived in front of the doors that Alfred dreaded. With a sharp inhale, he opened the doors, forcing a smile unto his face. He felt everyone's eyes on him.

"Heya guys! Sorry if--"

"Sit down." England said sharply, cutting off Alfred's sentence. "Just sit down. It doesn't matter what your excuse is."

America did as he was told. He walked over to the chair, his shoulders slouching a little. Ivan frowned but also took his seat, which was unfortunately, far away from America. They better not hurt the precious child. Russia thought, raking a glare on everyone in the room.

Germany started the metting, though Ivan hadn't put anything of what the man said to mind. He was busy worriedly looking at Alfred, like a fretting parent, as the look of sadness was in his eyes.

"Ivan."

The sound of his human name made the tall Slav turn to whoever spoke. There was a blonde haired boy who looked quite like America sitting beside him, a bear on his lap. Russia frowned. He'd never seen this guy before.

"Who are you?" The plantinum blonde asked, making a small heavy sigh leave the other blonde's lips. "I'm Canada..." He muttered so softly Ivan almost didn't hear it.

"Oh. Canada." Ivan said plainly. The bear on Canada's lap growled, but the North American pet his polar bear before looking at Ivan's eyes, which made the Russian be startled at the fact that the boy had lavender colored eyes, just lighter than the own shade of his eyes.

"What were you doing with my brother?" Canada asked, a small frown on his face. Russia had one too. "Why is it any of your buisness to know what me and Amerika are talking about?" He asked, his frown deepening. "And since when do you care about your brother?"

Matthew looked a little hurt. "I've always cared about him." The Canadian answered. The Russian beside him chuckled darkly. "Really? Then why is it that whenever the insults come, you never come to help him out?"

Canada visibly sunk, his lavender eyes drifting downwards in guilt. The two were silent for a while.

"Because I can't."

That caught Russia's attention. It was an interesting choice of a sentence and it made the man curious.

"America is strong. I'm a little more to the reserved side. He's always boisterous and happy, while I'm always quiet and shy. Even if he handles a million problems, my brother always finds a way to smile." Matthew looked at Ivan again, his eyes entirely serious. "I don't want to end up being hated by everyone just because I helped him. I'd rather be in the corner, unnoticed by the world rather than be known, yet despised by everyone around me."

Canada became a little more quiet. "I'm always there for Alfred when no one is. I've been there when he cried about how much he wanted to die. I've been there when he was utterly miserable and depressed. I'm always there whenever he needs someone to go home to."

Matthew's eyes were bold and fierce, filled with unconditional love. "He's my brother, and he always will be. I will always be there for him, no matter what happens."

Though as soft as the summer breeze, Matthew's words spoke volumes. Ivan couldn't find anything to say to what the Canadian had said so he simply smiled.

"Blood is thicker than water, da?"

Canada looked over to his brother, whose blue eyes were dull and tired. Whose spirit had been crushed so many times. His btother who he had left many times, facing all his problems on his own yet finding the silver lining in all of them somehow.

"Yeah. It is."

(A/n: you guys make me so happy just by voting on this shit of a story. Thank you so much! And wow, I even ranked one on #AmeIta, though it's not even a romantic relationship I wrote between the two!
Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter I kinda rushed. It'll get better soon, i promise!)