Chapter 9: For Now

The sunlight was warm, and the bird's chirping was chipper this morning.

Alfred slowly opened his eyes, groaning groggily as he shifted around his sheets, hugging a pillow tightly to his chest. And then he smelt a whiff of beer and his eyes snapped wide open.

Prussia...Denmark...They had been with him yesterday.

America sat up, rubbing his eyes as he looked around in vain, his surroundings blurry without the help of his glasses. The blonde fumbled his hands around the side desk beside the bed for a short moment. When he finally took a hold of the glasses, he slipped it on and tried to take in his surroundings, while also gathering his thoughts.

In a chair beside the door, two uniforms were stacked neatly in a pile, and Alfred's eyes could clearly see an iron cross that belonged to a certain albino.

They have been here...But, where are they? Alfred thought to himself, before he smelled a very buttery and crisp aroma from downstairs. For the first time in months, America realized he felt more rested than usual. And he actually felt hungry.

The nation stood up and walked down the stairs in a light daze, his feet continuing to pad on as he made his way to the kitchen. The closer he was, he could clearly hear the soft hushed voices of his two friends.

Curious, Alfred stayed behind the wall in silence for a minute, listening to their talk.

"...will be there to get him." Matthias was saying. There was a sigh of relief. "Well, that takes the troubles off his shoulders, I know it will. After all, there is nothing more nicer than a vacation with your family."

"What family?" America asked as he walked in.

His two friends jolted in suprise. Gilbert nearly spilled his orange juice, and Matthias seemed to almost slip down his stool. The two regained their composure fast.

"Ah- Alfred, we were just talking about our trip later. Here, have some pancakes and waffles, drizzled with maple and smothered with butter." Prussia said with a gentle smile as he ushered Alfred over to the other chair.

The American hesitantly sat down, staring at his breakfast. It looked very delicious, and as much as he didn't want it, his stomach growled at him to stop being a damned pussy and eat. Alfred did as so, but in small tiny bites.

There was a few minutes of silence.

"What trip were you talking about...?" America finally asked, setting his fork down. Denmark looked over to Prussia, and the two seemed to have a mental conversation.

"Well, you see, Al, we've noticed that you've been pretty much in need of rest." Matthias started, his eyebrows crinkling as he gently took Alfred's hand, who jumped a little at the touch.

"Me and Gilbert asked for a week off from your boss, and he agreed. And we scheduled  a week long stay over at Finland." The dane paused to let the information sink in America's head. Alfred gaped at his friend, looking suprised.

"I...What..?" The blonde stammered, seemingly at lost for words. His two friends chuckled gently.

"Don't worry, Al. You'll have fun with us! wait 'till you get a taste of Sweden's brownies, because they are good!" Matthias said with a wide smile, excitement gleaming in his eyes.

Alfred felt the voices fade away for a moment.

He'd experienced a lot of things in his lifetime, but vacation with the Nordics?

He had never thought of the possibility.

But somehow, he felt a surge and glimmer of hope. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try make friends, wouldn't it?

For the rest of the morning, the trio laughed over silly jokes and shenanigans, a feeling of rare mirth in the air.

{a/n: guys, im really really sorry for the late update, school's been kicking my ass, hhh- but thanks so much for all your support! I never expected to reach this far without you all! Sorry for the short filler chapter, i promise the next update will be soon! Ily all!!💕💕}