Chapter Twenty One

The Teams:

Bat Owl, Rabid Raccoon, Early Bird, Paper Bag Man, Mega Monkey.

Craig, Anthony, Marcel, Scotty.

Smii7y and John.

The Mission:

Saving Private Brian.

The Plan:

Flanking.

======================

The large group peered over the hill that overlooked the facility that Ohm had constructed, sunglasses on, Smii7y insisting he stay on brand with red and blue lenses. Bright lights on tall poles peered over the building and lit up various spots along the property. Lights on the interior perimeter lit up the race track in the Colosseum. IAA sentries roamed the grounds. Smii7y and John loaded their rifles and positioned themselves to look sharply through their scopes as the rest of the group began to sneak down the hill to the facility.

"Anyone gonna hand ya' boy a helmet?" Scotty whispered. "Some fuckin' knee pads, bitch? A fuckin' mitten?"

"You have the Banana Bus Superheroes." Delirious told him. "That's all you need."

"You bitches couldn't protect a flame in Hell. You think I trust you with my fucking life?"

Smii7y and John began to fire, unloading a barrage of rounds onto the IAA agents who quickly realized they were under attack and began a retaliation. They used tranquilizers to keep from killing anyone, now aware after Craig's extensive research that it only took a short nap to alleviate the damage done by the red handgun. The rest of the group continued to sneak, hiding their identities and presence so that they could have an easier time sneaking into the building. The darkness made it easy to stay hidden and, as a result, all of them were able to trudge slowly through the front door.

Once inside, they took a good look around to get their barrings. Just through the front door was a lobby, not unlike that of a hotel, however, a million times more dingy. This facility, unknown to the heroes, had been built in just over a day and a half by construction workers under the guide of Ohm. What he had asked for and expected in such a short amount of time was unreasonable and resulted in a structure that posed danger at every corner. It would could crumble at any moment. 

But aside from the poor conditions of the building, the other thing that threw the heroes off was the emptiness. Not a single IAA agent inside. The only noticeable thing in the room was a bright red arrow pointing down a long hallway. The cautiously followed it. Past that arrow, another bright red one, directing them further down. Past that, another directing them to take a right instead of a left at a fork. It seemed as though the arrows were leading them deep into a maze, but the simplicity of the instructions hinted to the heroes that this may not be the case. It would be too easy to get back out. The last bright red arrow pointed into a large ballroom with twenty foot high double doors that had been left open. It remained empty and dark with exception to the moonlight that peaked through large holes in the structure. 

The heroes marched forward.

Once everyone had stepped inside, they heard a loud click followed by the sound of metal dragging and a continuous crank. The double doors behind them slammed shut.

"Ohm!" Bat Owl screamed into the empty room, his voice bouncing off the walls and back them. No one seemed to have heard him or been there except for his friends.

"What the fuck was that?" Paper Bag Man asked.

"Ohm!" Bat Owl screamed again, but to no avail.

"Maybe we triggered something?" Early Bird suggested. Just then, a speaker somewhere in the room cut on and the sound of static and interference rained down for a few short seconds, and a voice made itself known.

"Well, well, if it isn't my old friend, Bat Owl."

It couldn't be. 

That voice. 

It rained over the group and left them dripping in dread. It reminded them of a time long ago when their personas were new and their goals were pure and simple. That voice. It was the sound of inexperience and, at the same time, the sound of experiences to come. It was the divider, the very thing that separated them from the people they were now and the ones they were before they had first heard it ringing in their eardrums in their years of naivete and optimism. 

That voice. It was, and at the same time, couldn't be. It couldn't be that person. It couldn't be that iconic figure who had once joined them in finding themselves in the worse way possible. It couldn't be. But could it? Could it actually be? 

Could it actually be...

"...Bane."