Chapter Twenty Two

"Brian!" Paper Bag Man screamed up to the heavens, unable to quite pinpoint where it was in the walls or in the ceiling his friend could be. "Brian, this isn't you anymore!"

"Oh, quite the contrary." Bane responded. Just then, Brian dropped from the ceiling, landing on his feet. He stood up and stared down his old friends. The first thing they noticed were his red eyes. The second... his Bane mask, sculpted out of scraps of Pringles Chip cans of several different flavors. A few loose strands of his hair dangled over his face, his fists bawled at his sides, and his eyes narrowed.

"Welcome, Bat Owl." Bane said. "I see you brought your friends as my master has commanded."

"Ohm is not your master!" Paper Bag Man explained. "He's taking advantage of you, Brian! You're not like this. He's using you!"

"My master has only good intentions." Bane claimed. "He only wishes to assemble us so that we may play forever. You're making this rather difficult."

Just then, two familiar faces emerged from the shadows behind Bane, followed by a fleet of IAA agents wielding weapons.

Ohm and Max.

"Max, what are you doing?" Craig asked. 

"Decided that I'd stick with Ohm." Max explained. "Besides, I don't think I've seen any of you protect anything successfully in my life, so..."

"I fucking told you that!" Scott said.

"Why are you doing this, Ohm?" Early Bird asked. Ohm's eyes lit up as if he had been waiting for someone to ask that question. His voice got light and playful. He giggled.

"I just want us all to play! And that's what we're gonna do!"

"We're not playing with you." Bat Owl told him. "We're taking Brian, Max, and Satt and we're leaving."

"That's what I said!" Ohm responded, confusing the group as no one had interpreted his words like that. "We're going to play... for their freedom. One game, one person. I choose the game. I choose the players. I choose the prize. If you win a game, you earn someone back, at the end. If you lose, I take all of you."

"No!" Paper Bag Man said. "I just want Brian! I don't want to play any games!"

"Daithi, stop!" Marcel told him. "If Ohm were being fucking reasonable, you think we'd be here? What games, Ohm?"

Ohm giggled again. "Let's play Uno!" He said.

"...With who?" Craig asked. Ohm thought carefully as his eyes glazed over his friends.

"Rabid Raccoon..."

"Yes!"

"And... Scotty."

"We're fucked."