Chapter Twenty Seven

"Mario Kart?" Evan asked, trying to make sure he heard Brock right.

"Yup."

"I'm not racing!" Evan told him. "I'll fucking lose!"

"He didn't name you." Brock told him. "He wants... someone else."

"...You?"

"Oh, no! Not me! We may as well just give up on Brian and let him take us. He wants... Anthony."

"What the fuck!" Anthony screamed. "How am I any better than you? Is he purposely choosing to play with the people that suck at the games we play?"

"This is the last one." Brock said. "One more and we get Brian back. You just have to beat Ohm! He's just as bad as you are!"

"That's what we thought last time and he almost ate Marcel's ass."

"Ohm does like eating ass." Evan said. 

"Where's Nogla?" Anthony asked. "Get Nogla!"

"Aye, boys." Nogla said as he strolled over to the three. "Looks like I'll be taking over from here. We're playing Mario Kart. And since I'm the expert, I'll be the one who'll save Brian once and for all."

"...Ohm wants Anthony to play." Brock told him.

"Bullshit!" Nogla screamed. "I'm Mario Kart champion of the world!"

"Of the group." Brock corrected. "And we haven't been allowed to choose who plays since we got here. We wouldn't have let Delirious play Uno. We wouldn't have let Marcel be our driver. And, if we had a choice, we would never let Anthony race in Mario Kart. No offense, Anthony."

"None taken." He said. "I fucking suck!"

Just then, Ohm limped over, followed by Max and Bane. He smiled through his mask at his friends.

"Hi guys!"

"Ohm," Anthony began, "I can't race you. Not Mario Kart. Choose someone else. Anyone but me."

"Oh, Jiggly! You're not gonna race me!"

"So, Brock's a fucking liar?"

"Just as I thought." Evan said.

"No! You're racing." Ohm explained. "But you're not racing me. My leg is a little bent out of shape and it wouldn't be fair. You're racing the Irishmen!"

Anthony lost his footing and stumbled a bit. His mouth hung open in disbelief. He could not beat them. Least of all them. Especially them. He could put money on himself beating anyone but them. Among their group, they were the gods of Mario Kart. They were each other's only competent opponents. Everyone else was non-existent. Irrelevant. In a group race, the winners were not determined by who occupied first and second place, but by who occupied third and down. These two, in another realm. At another level of expertise. 

But... race them both?

"Irishmen?" Nogla questioned. "I'm not racing for you, ya' fuck, Ohm!"

Ohm jumped, startled. It was as if he hadn't even noticed Nogla was there and didn't expect him to be. He seemed confused for a moment and it took him a second to collect his thoughts. When he did, he perked back up.

"Oh!" He said as he reached in his back pocket. "Have I not done this yet?"

Ohm pulled out the red handgun that the group had seemingly forgot existed and fired it at Nogla. The Irishman collapsed to the floor, eyes closed for a short second. The other three froze in fear, startled. Was this not against the rules? Was this Ohm seeking revenge for his previous losses? Was this his way of keeping them from successfully saving Brian?

Nogla's eyes snapped back open, glossed with the signature red that symbolized to the group that he no longer belonged to them. He stood to his feet, and as he did, Bane reached into his jacket pocket and took out a paper bag with two holes, both for eyes. He handed it to a silent, manipulated Nogla. Nogla took it, and carefully set it on his head, hiding his face.

"We do as our master asks." Bane said. "And our master asks that we defeat the one known as Panda. And we shall. Isn't that right, Paper Bag Man?"