{ 32 }

"So you mean to tell me,  I have to stay down here?" I croak. Samuel was in the room with Jeremy and Xavier, discussing the situation.

I had told them repeatedly how I had felt after a few hours of sleep-perfectly fine. Maybe a little sore, but otherwise, fine.

Apparently, my word wasn't good enough.

"Yes, just another night."

"Can I stay with her?" Jeremy chimes in, sounding worried, pained. I knew how hard it was for him, to be what he was. And he had hurt me, his mate. He was suffering.

Xavier growls then, hearing the question. Yes, this was an ongoing war.

My eyes shut tight, trying not to watch the scene unfold. I couldn't bare to get upset any further.

"Can we even trust you with her?" Xavier tries to confront Jeremy.

"I am still marked to her," Jeremy hisses back, fists clenched, "her safety is not underminded."

"Boys!" Samuel yells. The sound even scares me. "Neither Lorelei or I have time for this. Fighting is not going to help her."

"How about you both stay," I shrug, not wanting to upset the other.

"Thats fine," Samuel says shortly. "As long as you can manage to be civil."

"Please?" I add.

"You have my word," Xavier sighs.

It felt so unfair, to make them do this. And yet, I was.

"Winslow will check in later," Samuel informs me directly.

"Okay, sure, whatever she feels is necessary."

Samuel exits, leaving the three of us together.

"Have you eaten?" Jeremy asks.

"I will go grab you something," Xavier decides. "I will be right back." He exits, giving Jeremy and I our first moment alone.

"Lorelei," he starts.

"It's okay, Jeremy."

"It's really not," he frowns. "I almost killed you."

"But you didn't. I knew the stakes, I let you bite me. It's my fault too." I hold my hand out to him and he takes it, letting me give it a squeeze. "We are both guilty, okay?"

Jeremy ponders for a moment before asking, "is Xavier mad at you?"

"I would think so." My eyes dart to the door, expecting him to return any moment. "Rightfully so."

"I know you love him," Jeremy whispers, "I don't intentionally want to come between that. I just-"

"I know how hard it is, to be bonded, Jeremy. You don't have to beat yourself up over tempting me. I took the bait. I should've been smarter than that." I let go of his hand, returning it to my lap.

"It is so... soul consuming. I finally get a moment alone with you and I blow it." His hands had returned to scrunched fists now as he looked deeply at my face. He was upset with himself and Xavier's comments weren't helping.

Xavier walks in then, a small bowl of soup in hand for me with some bread. He hands it over to me, giving my cheek a light peck before sitting beside me. I eat slowly, both of the vampires watching in silence.

Both Jeremy and Xavier slept on the floor in the tiny maid quarters in the basement. Winslow came in every once in awhile to check on me, giving me fluids. She was trying her best for me and I was grateful.