{ 37 }

Xavier held my hand. His cold, strong fingers wrapped around my shaking knuckles.

It had been a few days since Henrietta's demise and things were still drowning in rocky waters.

I stood in my funeral attire, the same gothic dress I had worn for Yvonne's first funeral.

I didn't expect to be wearing it again so soon.

Xavier stood beside me in his own attire, looking handsome yet forlorne.

Theo and Naomi were next to us, in their own clothes. Naomi had been given a midnight blue ensemble with frills, little black roses and black lace. She looked beautiful.

On our other side stood Henry Vandacuuv, in his own dark suit.

Winslow stood close to Henry, with Eve at her side.

Samuel had been of the first to recognize what was happening the night of the hyper moon and had instructed Winslow to run with Eve, to hide her. She was successful in her mission.

Eve was looking nearly four these days, so grown for only being a few months old. Her maturity outmatched any four year old as well. She could grasp her parents were gone and she was sad about it.

Her delicate, young little eyes watched with immense concentration as each body was layed out in the yard before us. Nine or so vampires had died within the house and five more for Veronica's battle.

After each of those vampires were layed out respectively, Samuel and Yvonne were layed out on their altars. Shortly after and the last of them all, Jeremy was placed up.

Xavier squeezes my hand to try and gather my attention as my eyes burn into the side of Jeremy's lifeless veined face. He looked sunken, malnourished. His body was thin compared to how well it fit in his suit the first time I had seen him in it. But he was alive then or at least partially so.

When I finally glance up to Xavier, his eyes are aflame with worry.

"Ready?" He whispers.

My legs feel like anchors that are sinking farther and farther into the dirt. I did not want to leave this spot. But I would never get a final moment again.

I look to Cly & Geneva, the twins who had so graciously offered their help to set up this massive funeral in the yard. They give me a knowing nod before averting their eyes as if to give me privacy.

I take a step forward but hesitate to continue. Xavier begins his own stride, eventually tugging me along.

We begin the maze of bodies. Some of the vampires I can recognize, some I don't. Some I know their name, some I don't.

But, like me, they got caught in a deadly situation. This was the cost.

Despite not knowing all of the bodies we weaved through I still stopped at each altar, nodded my head and whispered a sweet prayer. "I hope you lived a life long enough to fulfill you"

The aisles of bodies lessened as we moved forward. Naomi and Theo had begun making their rounds now, trying to keep an appropriate distance.

A dreaded moment comes and I lose my breath. Samuel.

I glance to Eve who was staring at the ground, Winslow whispering to the over grown child.

Xavier approaches his brother first. He keeps a hold of my hand as he moves forward, needing my support. So, I hold on.

I think of my own older brother and cannot fathom seeing him pass, despite a hundred years together or not.

A blood tear bursts from his eyes and I can only rub his back.