9 Ray guns and denial

Sand ran in through the holes in his boots. Something was digging into his arms. Going against his minds wishes he forced his eyes to open. Blurry desert completed his view.

"Jet?" Party Poison's mumble came out more like a hoarse whisper. "Put me down."
"Poison!" Jet Star said rather too loudly as he released his hands. "You're alright." He helped him up. Poison went to help Kobra. Jet stopped him.
"You get Ghoul, it'll be easier for you to carry him. We have to go. There's too much radiation out here." He instructed and went off to help Kobra.

Poison walked over to where Fun Ghoul lay on the ground. His right cheek had been sliced open. Poison cringed at it. It looked nasty.
"Poison hurry up!" Jet yelled.
"Ghoul." Poison said, trying to wake him up. Soon realizing that his attempts were futile. He was still out cold.
"Come on we have to go." Jet came over carrying Kobra.
"Oh God. Fuck." Poison exclaimed at the giant patch of blood staining Kobra's shirt.
"That's why we need to hurry." Jet said. "He's losing quite a lot of blood."

"I put a GPS tracker on the car." Poison told him as he pulled on his bandana. "Turns out we walked in circles for most of the day. The car's only two hours away." He hoisted Ghoul onto his shoulder and started walking. "This way."

About fourty five minutes in Ghoul stirred. He was aware of the rocking back and forth and the amount of blood rushed to the head from being upside down for almost an hour.
"Ugghh." He groaned. "Poison, Poison I'm up."
Poison noticed and helped him to his feet.
"Are you alright?"
"Yeah." He replied quietly not taking his steadying hand. Poison went to help Jet carry Kobra.

"Catch!" He chucked Ghoul the GPS and lifted Kobra's arm over his shoulder. Continuing the journey back to the TransAm.

The sun had set behind the sand dunes by the time they reached the car. It was luckily unaided and still intact.

"Get in. We can reach Batt city by tomorrow." Poison went towards the drivers seat. Jet held out an arm to stop him.
"Jet." He said, almost pleading. "We have to save her. Let me go!"
"Poison stop and think for a second!" He told him. "What do you think we can do!? If we try catch up to Korse we'll run out of gas before we even get out of Zone 5."
"So what we're just going to let them take her? Do you even care Jet? You don't even know what BLI is capable of!"
"Poison of course I fucking care. I love her as much as you do, we all do." Neither of them had seen Jet this angry before. It was pretty terrifying. "BLI destroyed everything I'd ever known. I've lost more than you ever have. Don't ever tell me I don't know what they do."
Poison looked desperately at Ghoul.
"He's right." Ghoul sighed. "I know more than any of you what they'll do. And believe me I wouldn't want anyone to go through that, let alone Babyjoy, but what can we do? Right now we wouldn't stand a chance." He went towards the passenger seat. "Jet can drive."

Hours of silent driving passed. No headlights or radio. The only sound was the occasional instruction from Ghoul to Jet regarding navigation. Kobra was still unconscious. Poison had his hand pressed against his stomach so he wouldn't bleed out. The bruising on his hands was worrying. Without an X-ray machine he wouldn't know for sure but there was a high chance that his knuckles were broken.

Poison took Kobra's slowly dropping pulse and silently prayed he would make it.

"What zone are we in?" He asked.
"Just entered Zone 3." Ghoul said. They got back onto the road four hours earlier, having to stop to unclog the wheels a few times. Now they steadily drove at the crushingly slow pace of 25 miles per hour so they could save fuel.

"The diner!" Jet's voice jolted Ghoul awake. His spirits instantly lifted.
"What's up?" Poison groggily mumbled.
"We're back." Ghoul said. Poison sighed in relief just as the engine gave a final sputter and stopped dead 15 yards away from the diner.

Not bothering to grab supplies, Poison lifted Kobra out of the car in an unbalanced bridal style and ran inside as the others followed.

The ray gun pressed into his skull. Poison froze. This moment only lasted briefly before the gun was lowered.
"Shit you guys are ok." Show Pony exclaimed. "I'm sorry I thought you were a Drac for a sec."
"Glad to see you're alright." Poison replied. "You need to help me. Kobra got shot in the stomach, he's lost a lot of blood." He said.
"Of course. Bring him here." They motioned.

After they removed Kobra's jacket and shirt Poison and Show Pony got to work fixing the wound.
"He's lucky, there's no organ damage." Show Pony said. "Do you have a cigarette lighter?" Poison nodded, passing them the lighter from his pocket. Show Pony cauterized the wound and finished stitching it.
"He's gonna live Poison." They told him as he finished bandaging. A huge weight lifted off his shoulders. His brother would survive.

Poison was helping Ghoul stitch the cut on his cheek when Jet came in.
"Guys?" Jet said, turning everyone's attention towards him. "I didn't want to worry you while we were driving, but I can't see out of my left eye."
"What?" Ghoul was in disbelief. "The fuck."
"Why didn't you say anything?" Poison shook his head.
"I just wanted everyone to get back alive." Jet replied.
"Well you failed Jet. We lost Motorbaby."
Jet knew Poison didn't mean this malicious talk, still it hurt.
"What's happened has happened, we can't change the past. And I promise, as soon as we can we're going straight in there and we're getting her back."

Poisons expression slowly morphed from a glare to slowly breaking down in tears.
"I'm sorry Jet. I failed." He muttered. "I failed Motorbaby and Kobra, Dr. Death Defying even. I feel like I've let down everyone at this point. We're supposedly the leaders of this fight and yet the moment we're faced with anything serious we lose everything." Poison shuddered. "I don't know what to do anymore."

Jet hesitated for a second before kneeling down next to him.
"Poison. I know things look bleak, but we're fucking Killjoys, and this fight isn't over. She's still alive, we're still alive." He took the wrist of Poison's hand he was trying to hide.
"Your hand's broken." Poison shook his head in response.
"It isn't."
"It's pretty obvious."
"Can't prove it. We don't have X-ray."
Jet lightly poked one of the bruised spots. Poison tried not flinch or make any sign of discomfort but still a small cry of pain escaped through his gritted teeth.
"Anything else?" Jet asked, even though he'd seen the holes in his jacket.
Admitting defeat, Poison unzipped his jacket and exposed the shoulder where he'd used his bandana as a tourniquet over rather deep ray gun wounds.
"Holy shit." Jet mumbled. "Sit down." He ordered, getting to work on his hand while Ghoul fixed his shoulder.
"Guys it's really not that bad."
"I know you're usually the leader around here but you've talked enough, so shut up." Ghoul said to him.
"Fuck off." He replied. Ghoul lightly jabbed him with the needle. Poison did as he was told after that.

Once everyone had settled down. Ghoul went to check on Pansy. He walked into the other room and found it on the floor next to the bunk where he had left it.
Peppered with bullet holes.
Tears of both sadness and rage streamed down his face. The saltiness of the tears stung where his cheek had been cut open but at this point he didn't care.

Jet went to see what the various crashes and bangs was about. Sliding open the door he found Ghoul crumpled on the floor sobbing violently and clutching what was left of Pansy to his chest.
Ignoring the various pieces of everything he'd broken strewn around. He went and sat next to him.
"Do you want to talk?" He asked. Ghoul shook his head. Jet stayed and silently sat with him until he fell asleep.

______________________________________

Oof sorry it's been a while. It took a while to formulate some ideas to put a chapter together.

I have the end planned out I'm just getting the story to where it needs to be. I think there will be about 2 more chapters and some extra stuff at the end. Just as a rough outline.