11 Sing it for the world

A cold chill brushed up their skin as the TransAm entered the tunnel. Eerie blue lights bounced around the corrugated iron tube as the car sped through to the city centre.

The previous night, they finished scrapping the radio parts and set up a fire a few sand dunes away from the diner.
"Last chance to step out," Party Poison said, waiting for a few seconds before continuing. "Right we're getting up before sunrise so we'll get to the city by nightfall."
"I know the quickest way to the BLI Headquarters," Fun Ghoul added. "I'll navigate."
Poison nodded. "Right. We'll need to get in and out as quickly as possible. But we need to face the possibility that we might not get out."
His words were met with silence.
"Also Jet, I managed to find you an eyepatch." He passed it over to Jet Star, who put it on and arranged it around his slightly overgrown afro.
"Thanks."
"Food's done," Kobra Kid looked up from the fire.
"Are you finally gonna reveal what it is?" Poison teased. "Or is it just flavoured vulture shit?"
"Well... I found some real meat. I think."
"Holy shit that's fucking great!" Ghoul said rather loudly. "We haven't had real meat since, well, forever."
"Well I'm sorry to say it's probably shit but you made me cook so?" Kobra handed everyone a few small pieces of overcooked steak.

Between mouthfuls of burnt meat, Jet suddenly blurted out. "My name is Ray. Thought you should know. Just in case we don't make it out. "
"I'm Mikey." Kobra mumbled.
"Frank." Ghoul said through mouthfuls of food.
"Gerard." Poison said. "Thanks for telling us."

Now they sat in the car silent with completely stone cold expressions reflecting off the advertisements being projected onto the wall.
Poison gripped the steering wheel with the same freezing determination on his face as he had when they left 16 hours earlier.

A security booth sat next to the barricade blocking the exit of the tunnel.
"What do we do?" Kobra asked, unsure of their next move. Poison didn't reply but instead floored the accelerator and smashed through the barricade at 90 mph. Behind them the Scarecrows at the security booth had sounded the alarm.

"Load your guns," Poison told them,  Jet passed  ammunition around. Soon after they stopped in front of the bridge.
"Ready?" Jet asked. The air of determination confirmed it.
"Let's go." Poison said.

They followed Poison across the bridge. Shooting down the Scarecrows guarding the headquarters. After taking down the enemy guns, the Killjoys stormed the building sporting the sinister smiley Better Living Industries logo.

Poison wrenched the door open and continued firing at the large number of Draculoids and Scarecrows crowding the building lobby. Once the path was clear, Poison beckoned them over to the stairs.

Three floors up they found the offices. Poison led the way off the directions that Ghoul gave them. Slamming open the doors at the end of the hall. The girl sat on the ground playing with a blue medicine ball. Poison's lip quivered slightly as he knelt down and hugged her tightly. He was sure she could feel his fear in his uneven breathing. He stayed with his arms around her while the others shot down the Dracs guarding the room.

Ghoul stood up after hugging the girl himself. "Time to get out of here."
"I agree. We need to go," Jet said.
"Yeah," Kobra agreed.
"Come on Babyjoy," Ghoul took the girl's hand and left the room.

Many hallways and stairs later, they reached the main lobby on the ground floor. It was empty. The Killjoys stood confused in the uneasy silence. Then out of nowhere the room swarmed with Dracs, followed by the Scarecrows.
They flicked off the safety of their ray guns and worked to clear away the threat.

Poison gripped the hair of a Drac mask and ripped it off its head. Underneath the mask was the face of a man who now lay dead on the ground. Poison started hyperventilating, his breath coming quicker as the guilt rose in his throat.
"What the fuck are you doing? Poison!" He heard Ghoul yell at him, though it sounded fuzzy and slurred.

Something grabbed at his jacket. Poison looked up at the sinister grin worn by Korse. The back of his head stung as he was shoved against a wall. Korse still held him by the neck. He pressed his stark white ray gun up to his throat. Instead of panicking further he noticed his heart rate slow and his breathing steady.
Korse's smile twisted further along the twisting of his ray gun.
He mouthed "Run," In a whisper in response to the horror on the girl and Kobra's face.

The smell of burning flesh came before the brief pain and taste of blood in his mouth. In his quickly blurring vision he saw Korse pull his gun away and a red flash he recognized as his brother by his scream. All of this passed in the span of a few seconds.
Then everything fell away.

Kobra saw Poison being pinned against the wall. Horror and pure dread filled him. He wanted to yell, scream at him to fight back, but the words were stuck. So instead he watched his strangely calm response.

'Oh god,' Kobra thought to himself. 'He's going to die. He's really about to di-'
His thought had barely processed before the flash of light shot out the tip of the ray gun. Time passed in slow motion. The light slowly faded from his eyes. Poison slid down the wall and slumped down to the floor.
Kobra felt the scream escape his lips. Tears filled his eyes. It seemed so hard not to deny reality, that his own brother was dead. It seemed impossible.

Despair quickly spread to rage and something inside him clicked. Kobra reached for his gun holster, drawing the ray gun. He shot at every white-clad soldier in his tear blurred vision. Rage made his shots sloppy and most of shots missed. All coming to a head when two shots hit his shoulder and spine. His ray gun skidded across the ground as he crumpled to the floor.

Ghoul grabbed the girl by the arm and dashed to the doors with Jet. After the other two made it through, Ghoul grabbed the door handle.
"I love you Babyjoy." He said quickly before shutting himself in, turning to face the shots being fired at him.

Ghoul pulled the trigger as fast as his fingers would allow. Keeping the shots as coming as a bullet hit his hand and shoulder. Still firing when the bullets shot though his chest and he too fell.

Jet ran from the building back out to the car, nearly across the bridge by the time the door burst open. Jet continued, running backwards while shooting till he was gunned down.
He fell back, strewn across the hood of the TransAm.

The girl started to run. Followed by the BLI soliders.
A battered white van pulled up and the door slid open. Show Pony jumped out to bus some time in getting her safe. The girl ran towards the familiar faces. Dr. Death Defying reached out, pulling her into the van.

"Death Defying. We have to save them" Jet's right over there. The others are still inside."
"Sorry Crash Queen. There's nothing we can do. They're already dead," he said in almost a whisper. Show Pony clambered back into the van. Slamming the door shut.
"Hot Chimp, drive." He ordered.

The girl watched them drive way from the Headquarters. Knowing she would never again see the Fabulous Four and the TransAm. She clung to Show Pony, shuddering as the tears stung her cheeks. Even beneath their helmet Show Pony was crying too.

______________________________________

I'll admit this was hard to write. I had to watch the Sing music video.

This is not quite the end. I have more coming