"A call"

Sun coming through the window and feeling of warmth placing on my face felt like home.
Soft, warm, crispy bedsheets were covering me from head to toe and keeping safe from the coldness of the room.

*Beep Beep Beep*

My phone rang on the side table, and reaching out for it the only thought in my mind was -
"Who calls me at 7 am?"

Turning the screen of my phone to me, i saw a very sweet photo of me and my best friend on the background, smiling, and holding two giant cups of hot chocolate close to our faces, to show the comparison of the sizes. Name "Emma" was lit up on the screen and "incoming call" was under it.

I swiped the icon to answer and pulled my phone next to my ear.

"Hello? Emma?" bed voice was lower than i expected.

"(y/n), hello. Hi... um.." the worry in my friends voice was very clear.

" I- um- I hope, i'm not... distracting you, or anything... if so, i can call you back in- in some hours... " her voice started shaking, which make my heart beat faster. I sat on the bed and held the phone with two hand, as if being afraid of letting Emma go.

"No, no, its okay," my voice was still sleepy, but my thoughts weren't. "is everything okay? You seem... stressed." talking to her, on the other side of the planet, in this condition is like walking on thin ice. She could hang up at any momet , and god knows, what she could do.

"I.. I don't know.. (y/n), i felt like i had to call you,"- i could hear her trying to hold her tears up, but she was already crying "i don't know what's happening, im so scared..."

"Where are you?" i closed my eyes, to concentrate on her voice.

"I'm in my apartment, in the kitchen. (y/n), i did something and it doesn't stop."

"What doesn't stop? " my heart felt to stop beating, just to hear everything she says. Every little sound.

"..the blood... (y/n), the blood, it doesn't stop, i'm so scared" - her sobs became so distant, my heart dropped. But my brain knew what to do.

I put her on a speaker and opened the text messages, opening the chat with my mom. The sobs and words were still coming through the speaker, while i typed in. My thumbs started feeling foreign to me.

"MOM EMERGENCY. Call 911 to Emma's apartment in New York. NOW. Tell them there's a suicide attempt. I will explain later"

Pressing "send" i turn off the speaker, put the phone next to my ear and close my eyes.

I just need to win more time.

Emma still tried to say something, but her sobs made it impossible to understand.

"Emma, Emma... do you hear me? Im here," her sobs didn't stop, but became less frequent, meaning she's listening. "Emma, listen to my voice, i'm here. Tell me what happened." - my heart seems to dissolve as i hear her panicking again and i have nothing to do, but just wait for her to think.

"I'm.. i'm.. i was- i was thinking... about everything. I was.. i was thinking about us..," - she would stop almost each word, like it was hard for her to connect words and say them.
"...how we were kids."- sobs became louder

"uh-hm"- i want to hear her speak.

"And how we used to be always together.. and.. and how it felt like... we were together.. against the whole world...,"  She rapidly exhaled, and became quieter.

" yeah"-i scoffed weakly, and heard her exhale too.

" And remember.. how we would have lunch in the park and...after, run like crazy with full stomachs until.."

"..until one of us would be close to throwing up, yeah" i scoffed again, though it seems to choke me up more than make me laugh.

"(y/n)..." her sobs almost stopped, but her voice seemed to be weaker and weaker.

Time.

"Yes" i held the phone tighter.

"I miss it... I miss you."

Heart which was through so much in these 5 minutes, now seemed to rip apart with a loud sound, and bleeding with pain and devastation on all my insights placing a statement 'I give up' now.

"I miss you too, Em." i felt a tear forming in the corner of my eye, as i remember the smile of my long unseen friend. The freckles.. the dimples.. red hair..

Red..

Blood.

I heard a loud noise from my phone and a drop.

Emma dropped her phone.

I hear voices.

Male voices, questions, alarmed commands.

When i heard the footsteps fading, i opened my eyes, looked at the phone already covered in tears. The photo of Emma and I smiling.

I hang up. Slowly putting the phone on the bed side table.

Vision seems to blur. Light is too bright.

i put my head into my hands as i remember everything.

With Em.

Tears drop on my legs, images and moments flash before my eyes as one thought keeps coming back to my head over and over.

I need to go to New York.