Prologue

Shadows plagued the room, a subsequence of the sun setting, shrouding any glint of light that attempted to blossom. A suffocating silence dominated along with the darkness, which was broken by a gentle humming that quietly escaped from the television as it flickered to life. The pale blue glow that poured from the screen was almost blinding in the shadow engulfed room, cutting through the darkness and forcing its light upon the room, sending the shadows into the corners. The screen held the image of a dark haired male, clothed in a royal blue suit.

"In other news, the growth of ghoul attacks has increased by twenty-eight percent over the past three months. Police have looked into the multiple cases of Missing People and have confirmed that ghouls have been behind the unfortunate disappearances. Due to this, police have issued a warning for everyone to remain indoors whenever possible at night. We have also been informed that the Hunter's Association have confirmed to lend their assistance in stopping these monstrous creatures by any means necessary. Again, police have insisted that everyone remains in their homes at night for your own safety. If you have any information about a suspected ghoul then call the authorities immediately. Now, onto the weather-" the news reporter was silenced by the channel being changed.

Across from the television, the light carved out a single silhouette by the windowsill; his golden orbs glinting lightly from the screen's blinding glare.

Ghouls.

Hisoka turned his gaze back to his almost completed card tower, searching for a fault in the structure. He was aware of the rising ghoul threat, including the danger they pose. Dried flecks of deep crimson coated the cut he received when he left earlier that day. The wound had stopped bleeding, but his thoughts continued to stir. They are strong opponents, more stronger than any other opponent he had come across in Heaven's Arena, and they do not use Nen to accomplish that. A gentle buzz flickered in the back of his mind at the memory of the look on the ghoul's face when it attacked. Raw, pure hunger engraved into its face. Blinding rage burned into its inhuman eyes, the scarlet orbs were the only traces of colour in the black void. Thousands of false humanistic layers disintegrated in seconds before him, revealing the true nature of those cannibalistic creatures. But the part Hisoka adored most was the power that radiated from it when its Kagune exposed itself. Crystallised energy that sprouted as naturally as heat from a flame, and Hisoka wanted to feel the flame's burn. The magician's gaze shifted out the window, towards the glowing city. He had a sample of their flame, now he wanted to taste the full fire. To bask in the wondrous battle for survival against one of them, that's what he wanted. The thrill he endured when he fought the ghoul was unlike anything he had encountered before. A light grin twisted his lips, he could hardly wait for his next encounter with one of those. . . remarkable creatures.

This is just an idea I had, and I wanted to know what people thought about it. This was originally meant to be a single page story sort of thing, but if this gets enough views, I will consider making it into a full story. Please leave a vote and comment your response to this, and thank you for reading this.