Trouble in Paradise

Sophia's POV:

It is already March, which means that spring break starts this weekend! And it is the end of the quarter, so we are going to get our report cards. I have straight A's, Clay is going to be so proud! Everything has been pretty great lately. Amelia is at our house a lot more now, but I actually don't mind. I think we might even be friends. She is picking me up from school today, since Clay has to work. I am so excited! It is Friday, which means that Spring Break officially starts when school ends. Also,on Fridays we have all started having a "family night" where we do something fun together and go out to dinner. It is kinda cool that I have two people caring about me now. Amelia is even trying to get Clayton to let me wear makeup and shave my legs! We have not had any success with him so far, but we are working on it.

I see Amelia pull up and she has a weird look on her face, it is not her usual cheerful smile. I am a little worried. I get in the passenger seat and ask "Hey Amelia, are you okay?" She turns the radio down and says carefully "Sweetie, I need to talk to you about something. I was washing your laundry today and I found a cigarette in the pocket of your pants, want to tell me what that is about?" Oh shoot, I say quickly, and more defensively than I intended, "Why were you going through my stuff?!" She says gently, "I was doing the laundry that was in the laundry room, I wasn't going through your stuff." after an awkward pause she says "Now, are you going to answer my question?" I start tearing up a little and say "I am really sorry Amelia, I only tried it once, I'll never do it again, I promise! Just please don't tell Clayton!"

Amelia's POV:

This is just what I was worried about. I say, as calmly as I can "You know that I can't do that. At the moment though, I would be more concerned with me if I was you. What on earth made you think that smoking was a good idea? It's dangerous and unhealthy, not to mention illegal." She says "My friends were doing it and I just didn't want to look like a dork, it's not a big deal." I respond "Sophia, I know that you were raised better than to give in to peer pressure like that. And it is a very big deal." She sighs dramatically and crosses her arms. Ugh, preteens! The rest of the drive is silent and awkward. When we finally get inside the house I say to Sophia "Okay kiddo, I'll make you a deal. I won't tell Clayton if you do." I see tears well up in her eyes as she begs "Please don't make me Amelia! He is going to kill me! I thought you were supposed to be my friend..." Inside my head I smile at the fact that she considers me her friend, despite the fact that I know I am probably about to ruin that. I says gently "Honey, you know I can't do that. It would be dishonest. And you need to know that there are consequences for your actions. You can't just count on the fact that I will bail you out of getting in trouble." She rolls her eyes and say "Whatever" and then plops down on the couch and turns on the TV. I ask incredulously "What do you think you are doing?" She rolls her eyes again and says "Watching TV stupid." I say, trying to pretend like I know what I am doing, "No way, I want you to give me your phone and go to your room." She looks at me shocked and then stand up and yells "You're not my mom!" I say, trying to remain firm "I know that, but I am in charge of you until Clayton gets home. So you heard me, phone and room, right now." She throws her phone on the couch and storms down the hallway, slamming the door.

After about an hour, enough time for both of us to calm down, I go and knock on her door. She says "Come in" in an irritated tone. I sit down next to her on the bed and say "Hey, I want you to know that I love you." She sighs and says "I know that you do." And I continue "And I very much want us to be friends, and I hope that this doesn't make that impossible, but I also have responsibilities that I have to fulfill as the adult in this relationship, and one of those responsibilities is not keeping things like this from Clayton." She says "I know, but Amelia, he is going to kill me!" and she flops down on the bed dramatically. I say "He is not going to kill you. I promise. And I will do my best to convince him to not be too hard on you, okay?" She sits up and says "Okay... thanks... Do I have to tell him tonight?" I respond "I would prefer if you did, but you don't have to tell him as soon as he gets home, alright?" she nods in agreement. Then she adds "We can still be friends, if you aren't too mad at me for being so rude and disrespectful... I'm sorry." I say "Sweetie, we all make mistakes and need a little grace sometimes. I forgive you."

Sophia's POV:

I am really thankful for Amelia, she is so much more patient and forgiving with me than I deserve. I smile and say "Thanks." She puts her arm around me and says "Anytime kid." Then we hear the front door open and Clayton call "I'm home! Where is everybody?" We both run out to the living room and hug him. He kisses me on the head and then kisses Amelia on the lips. We all go sit on the couch and he says "Alright kiddo, where is that report card?" I say "In my backpack" and go get it. I come back and I hand it to him, beaming. After he looks at it he says "Good job kiddo, I'm very proud of you." I smile, but then feel a pang of guilt. I think Clay sees my face change, and he ask "What's wrong?" I say "Nothing." And responds "Come on Soph, I know you, tell me what's wrong." I try to smile and say "Really, I'm fine." He looks doubtful, but changes the subject by saying "Okay, time for family night! I've got a ton of stuff planned!" Amelia and I both roll our eyes, we are always in for an interesting night when Clay plans it. He ask me "Can I see your phone? Mine is dead and I want to show you guys where we are going." I go to hand it to him, but then realize it is not in my pocket because Amelia still has it. I freeze up and say "Uh... umm... actually Amelia has it." He looks concerned and ask "Why is that?" I look down and say "Because I got in trouble." He ask "What for?" And I say "For being disrespectful to her." which is partly true. He looks at her, probably surprised she actually asserted some authority, then looks back at me and ask "Oh, well did you apologize?" I nod and say "Yes sir." So he responds "Okay, sounds like it was handled then." I have to tell him now, if I don't then I am pretty much lying, which will just get me in more trouble. I look at Amelia, who gently nods, and then back at Clayton and say "Actually bubby, that's not all, I have something that I need to tell you."