Baby Sister (Flashback)

Clayton's POV:

I know that I am probably being a bit harsh on Sophia, but the idea of something bad happening to her terrifies me to death. And while I am definitely concerned about the smoking, I am really more worried about the dangerous implications of her starting to lie to me about what she is doing. Right now it is smoking, but in a few years it could be drinking or having sex or something worse. I just want her to understand how important it is that I can trust her, for my own sanity and her safety, but also because I know I will become (even more) insanely overprotective as she gets older if I don't feel like I can trust her. I want us to have a good relationship and for her to like me, but I feel like my first obligation is to keep her safe. She is my baby sister and it is my job to protect her.

Flashback (almost 13 years ago):

Clayton's POV:

I hear my parents pull into the driveway and I jump up and turn off the TV. I am so excited, I get to meet my baby sister today! I kinda wanted a little brother, but Dad talked to me about why having a little sister is good. He said that it will always be my job to protect her and that I will be her hero, I think that is pretty cool, but I am also kinda nervous. I want to be a good big brother. When my parents walk in the door Mom says "Hey buddy, how are you?" I say "Good." and she walks over to the couch with the baby carrier. Dad is paying the babysitter and then he goes to his office. Mom sits down next to me and ask "Do you want to hold her?" I nod and she hands me the baby, showing me how to hold her correctly and support her head. Then Mom says "I'm going to go make something for lunch, are you okay holding her?" I says "Yeah." even though I feel pretty nervous. After my mom leaves I looks down at the baby, I don't know what I am supposed to do with her, I guess I should talk to her. I say awkwardly "Hi... I know you don't know me yet, but I'm your big brother." I probably sound like a dork right now, but it okay, no one else can hear and it is not like she can tell anyone. All of the sudden she grabs my finer with her tiny little hand and it feels like my heart melts, I don't think I have ever loved someone or something so much, and I just met her. I kiss her head and whisper "I promise I am always going to protect you and I'll never let anything bad happen to you. I love you." Mom yells from the kitchen "Are you two okay in there?" I respond "Yeah, I've got her."

*2 years later*

Clayton's POV:

I am trying to work on homework for my Trigonometry class when I hear Sophia crying from the living room. I run out to check on her and see what is wrong. She is sitting on the floor crying and holding her knee. I look at my dad, who is sitting in the kitchen working on his computer, and I say "Sophia is crying, aren't you going to see if she okay?" He looks at me and says "She is fine, she just wants attention, you are spoiling her." I roll my eyes and he shoots up, his hand already reaching for his belt, asking "Do we need to have a talk?" I say "No sir, I'm sorry." And I leave the room, knowing that if I say something else to him it is going to be disrespectful and then I will get in trouble. I go sit on the floor next to Sophia and pick her up and put her in my lap. I ask "What's wrong baby?" She is still crying and she points at her knee, which is pretty scraped up, and says "Me huwt" I ask "You hurt your knee?" and she nods, starting to calm down now that I am holding her. I kiss her knee and say "There you go, all better." She says "tank you bubby" and then ask "boo-boo sticker?" I pick her up and carry her into the kitchen, then I sit her on the counter and get a disinfectant wipe and a princess band aid and patch her up. Then I say "Okay baby, I have to go do homework." She starts to pout and says "Pway bubby" I sigh and say "Soph, I can't play with you right now, I have stuff to do." She sticks out her bottom lip and says "Pwease bubby..." jeez, I am such a softie. I say "Fine, but only for a few minutes." and she shouts "Yay! Wove you bubby." and wraps her arms around my neck. I roll my eyes and say "I love you too."