He's Going to Kill Me!

Sophia's POV:

Clay looks at me concerned, and says "Are you okay? Did something happen?" I say "I'm okay... I just.... ummm...." and then I look at Amelia and say desperately "Amelia, please don't make me, I can't do it!" Clayton suddenly gets a much more serious look on his face and says "Someone needs to tell me what's going on here."

Amelia's POV:

I say gently "Alright, everyone just needs to calm down here." And I suggest that we all sit down. After everyone is sitting, I look at Sophia and say "Honey, I can tell him if you want me to, but I think that you should." She takes a deep breathe and says "No, it's okay, I can do it."

Sophia's POV:

Clay looks at me and says, already sounding frustrated "Okay, are you going to tell me what is going on?" I am having a really difficult time getting these words out, I just know he is going to be so upset with me. I take another deep breath and then say, mumbling and looking down "I smoked a cigarette..." Clayton's voice gets really harsh suddenly and he says "Sophia Grace, look at me and speak clearly. You did what?!" I know he heard me the first time, but he is not going to let me get away with a mumbled explanation. I look up at him, feeling myself shrink back a little when I see how angry he is, and I say "Amelia was doing my laundry and she found a cigarette in my pocket. I was hanging out after school with my friends and they were all smoking and they offered me one, and I just wanted to fit in, so I smoked it. And then they gave me an extra one so that I could smoke it later, and I put it in my pocket, I meant to throw it away, I just forgot. I'm so sorry Clay..." After I stop talking I look at his face and I can almost see an imaginary anger thermometer heating up over his head. He stands up and says, on the verge of shouting "What the heck were you thinking Sophia?! That is the most pathetic excuse that I have ever heard! We have talked about how you are supposed to handle something like this, I know that you know better. I can't believe you would do something so idiotic!" I feel my eyes flood with tears, he is right, I can't believe I was so stupid, I start to say "Clay..." but he cuts me off, saying through gritted teeth "Room. Now." It is obvious he is struggling not to start yelling. Amelia looks at me and adds gently "We will be in there soon sweetie, he just needs to calm down." And she gives Clay a pointed look. I hear him take a deep breath and he adds "Right, we will be in there in a few minutes. And I expect you to be standing in the corner." I would usually protest, but I do not want to make him any angrier with me.

Amelia's POV:

As soon as Sophia leaves the room I look at Clayton and say sternly "You need to calm down." He says, pretty much fuming "I just can't believe that she would do something like this!" And then I hear his voice crack a little as he adds "I am such a failure." I walk over to him and hug him, then I step back and put my hands on his shoulder and look him in the eyes and say "You are not a failure. She is a kid, she made a mistake. It was very stupid, and you have good reason to be upset, but you do not need to take your anger out on her. You are the adult here. I am going to go talk to her, you can take a walk and calm down, okay?" He says "Yeah, okay, thanks. I love you." I smile and say "I love you too." And kiss him on the cheek, then I add "It's going to be okay." He nods, looking a little skeptical, and heads out the door. As soon as he leaves, I walk back to Sophia's room and knock on the door. She says "Come in" in a shaky voice. When I walk in I see her standing in the corner of the room with tears streaming down her cheeks. I sit on the bed and say "Hey Soph, will you come over here please honey?" She comes and sits down next to me on the bed, then she buries her face in her hands and sobs "He's going to kill me! I told you!" I put my arm around her and say "Sweetie, it is going to be okay, I promise." She cries "No it's not! I'm an idiot! Everyone would be better off if I just died!" I put my hand under her chin and lift her face up so I am looking her in the eyes, then I say, in the harshest voice that I have ever used with her "Sophia Grace, that is not true, and I never want to hear you say something like that again. Am I clear young lady?" Sophia looks shocked, but she manages to stutter out "Y-y-yes ma'am, crystal." It's my turn to  be in shock now. I don't know where that came from on either of our parts, I guess I really am starting fill in the role of a parent here." She ask me "Do you think Clay will ever forgive me?" I say "Of course he will." She follows up with a skeptical "Really?" I nod and say "Yes. He is very angry, but he will calm down and you guys will make it through this." She breaks eye contact and ask, a tear sliding down her check, "Do you think he still loves me?" I respond "Of course he does! What kind of question is that?" She looks up at me and ask in shy voice "Do you still love me?" I hug her and say "No matter what kiddo." She smiles and says "I love you too Amelia." Then she lays her head on my lap and I just stroke her hair until we hear Clay come back in. It's crazy to think about how far our relationship has come in the last few months. There is a part of my heart that breaks a little when I think about how our relationship could have been like this all along, but I try not to wallow in regret about that. She sits up when we hear Clayton walking down the hallway and I say "You should probably get back in that corner." She nods and hops up.

Sophia's POV:

Amelia gets up and leaves the room and I hear Clayton walking down the hall way. He enters my room without knocking. I stay staring at the wall as I hear him coming in, until he says "come over here Sophia" and he points at the bed, while he stays standing. He is towering over me, which is pretty terrifying, but he is not yelling. He moves my desk chair and sits in it so that he can sit across from me and look me in the eyes. I think the towering was preferable. He speaks in an eerily calm voice as he says "I am so disappointed in you Sophia. That was extremely irresponsible and thoughtless. It is illegal, not to mention terrible for you. If you would have been caught doing that at school it could have done serious damage to your permanent record. I thought that you were responsible enough that I could trust you with the freedom to hang out with your friends unsupervised, but I guess that I was wrong. I don't even think that words can express how frustrated and disappointed I am right now. Do you have anything to say for yourself?" I looks down and say "No sir. I am really sorry Clay, I promise I won't ever do it again..." he responds "Oh we are going to make sure of that. You are grounded until the end of the school year. That means no phone, tv, laptop, going out with friends, or extracurricular activities. You can go to school, come home, do homework, do chores, and go to sleep." I interrupt with "Clayton, that's not fair!" He glares at me, obviously losing his patience and says "Sophia Grace, you better not be back talking me right now." I don't know what comes over me, but I roll my eyes before I even think about. As soon as I see Clayton's face I realize what a terrible choice that was...