Chapter 1: Bar Song

Out of tune voices rang out from the bar and onto the street. Cups were lifted into the air and roar of cheers filled the room. The floating barrels of rum bobbed about. The spigots opened and closed, splashing into outstretched mugs. I smiled to myself as I finished the rest of my glass. These were my people, lost in song and covered in alcohol. They were far from the stiff and pristine atmosphere that suffocated me among the nobles.

The bar door opened and a familiar face appeared. The black haired man scanned the room but didn't seem to notice me. I jumped down from the table I was sitting on in the corner. I intersected him before he could get to bar.

Wrapping my arms around his waist, I kissed his cheek. "Were you looking for me, Ki?"

He looked away and reached for a mug. "No. I came for a drink."

"I can help with that." I took the cup and held it up.

A barrel swayed over and filled it. I presented it to him and leaned against the counter.

Ki took it. "Are you trying to impress me, your majesty?"

I scoffed at the remark and turned forward. "Not anymore."

He sat down at the bar and took a swig from his drink. "Sorry to ruin your mood."

I faced him. He was a stunning man. A pure nomad with his dark hair and eyes with beautiful brown skin. I ran my hand up his arm. It couldn't resist the temptation to touch him.

"You could make it up to me." Our eyes met.

He shook his head. "My prince, I think that is an abuse of power."

"If I want to abuse my position, we'd already be upstairs." I moved closer so our lips were nearly touching.

Bowing his head, he moved back. "Someone is going to see. You're being too careless."

"I keep the drinks flowing for a reason. They know what will happen if they someone were to run off to tell the old man on the throne."

Ki swallowed hard. "There are others." His eyes flicked over to the women singing away just as drunk as everyone else.

I leaned into his ear. "They're not you." I reached my hand over the counter.

The bartender dropped a set of keys into my hand. I took them and pressed them into Ki's hand. He peered down at them, trying not to smile.

I quickly kissed the side of his head. "I'll be up right after you."

Nodding, he tucked the keys in his pocket and down the rest of his drink. Ki glanced my way once more before making his way through the crowd to the stairs.

"You're putting that boy at risk," said Roman, the bartender, under his breath.

I watched Ki leave. Lifting a mug into the air, I waited for it to be filled. "My father has more to deal with than who I'm sleeping with." I down the glass in one go. Wiping my face, I slammed the mug onto the counter. "Who knows he might be happy about it." I smiled at the old man. "It's not like I can get Ki pregnant and cause a fight for the throne.

Roman's gaze never changed. "Don't hurt my nephew. It's hard enough for my people already. Don't give the nobles another reason to hate us."

"I am you."

The barrels dropped to the ground. The bartender jumped as the crowd voiced their concern as well.

"Or am I not pure enough for you either?"

Shaking his head, Roman grabbed a towel to clean up the spills. "I just don't want Ki getting hurt. He's all my sister has left."

"My magic keeps this kingdom from falling. I'm sure I can protect one man."