Chapter 7: The Coast

I wasn't a stalker. I had simply never been to the coast and wanted to see it for myself. The nomads just happened to be on the same beach. I chewed on my thumbnail as I watched the group gathered around the fire. That sounded like a good enough excuse. Ki might buy into it. I cursed under my breath. I shouldn't be here.

Ki left the others. He waved at them and stopped to talk to his mother. I slipped a little more into the shadows. I came all this way and didn't even know if I could get close to him. His mother would attack if she even caught of glimpse of me being here.

He gave his mom a hug and went off to where the tents were located. This was my chance.

I crept among the lines of tents, trying to stay out of direct light. Ki wandered along to one toward the end of the row. He lifted the flap and entered. I raced across the walkway and slipped in behind him. He jumped when I grabbed his arm. I quickly covered his mouth to muffle his scream.

"I thought by now that you would be used to me sneaking up on you."

Scowling at me, he shoved me off. "What are you doing here?" he said in a hushed voice. "You need to leave now. It's not safe."

I moved closer. "What? I was lonely." I brushed my fingers against the back of his hand.

"It's been a week, Tolcan. You can't be here. You're too close to the barrier. What if your magic causes a ripple?"

"It is so sexy when you use my name." I pressed up against him. "I wasn't planning on touching the barrier." I ran my thumb along his bottom lip. "It's been a really long week and I had to use so much magic to get here. I don't think I have the strength to go back."

With a sigh, he pushed his hair away from his forehead. "I'm not alone. Two other men sleep in this tent."

"It's a good thing I came prepared." I grabbed his hand. "Shall we?"

Ki swallowed hard. "Do you promise to go back first thing in the morning?"

I gave him a quick peck. "I'll be gone before the sun rises."

He tried not to smile. "You go first. It'll be less likely that you'll be seen if you go alone. I'll meet you by the cliffs."

I lowered my head to his level and looked him in the eyes. "You better show up or I'll come and get you. I'll make a scene of it as well."

"I will." He sucked in his lips and ushered me to the door. "Hurry up and go."

Clasping the side of his head, I brought it to me and kissed his cheek. "Meet me at that old castle down the coast. You know where it is, right?"

"That place is cursed. Let's go to the cliffs. I know of some places where we can hide."

"I'm not one to sleep in the dirty. I'll be waiting for you at the castle and don't worry, I'll perform a counter-curse while I'm waiting." I gave him a smirk as I lifted the tent flap. "See you soon." Dipping outside, I fell into the wind and let it carry me up the coast to an old abandoned castle that was about a mile away from where the nomads were camped.

The best thing Ki could have said was that they thought it was cursed. It would limit the possibility of his mother marching in to retrieve her son while trying to stone me in the process. Halfway there, I felt the strain of using too much magic. I'd have to settle for walking the rest of the way. It required less energy and I need to conserve some for the night ahead.

I climbed up the rocks and entered the stone building through a side entrance. Going to the second floor, I went to one of the bedchambers that I had prepared earlier. I pulled back the tattered curtains and they ripped off without much effort. One of the glass doors was only a frame and the other was stained from the salt water. I walked to the railing on the balcony and peered out over the sea. The moon was reflecting on the water. It was a beautiful sight. It wasn't even that far away from the city. It was still too far for my father and the kingdom's liking for a prince to wander.