Chapter 6: Refined

I couldn't find a thing.

Centuries worth of magical theory books were stacked around my feet, yet no one had figured out how to bring a plant back to life. I rubbed my forehead as my stomach grumbled. I needed food. Picking up the pot, I examined the withered stem. If I only knew if it was some kind of fruit-bearing plant or simply a weed, then I would be more motivated to fix it.

Turning a couple pages, I ran my finger down the time-bending instructions. None of it made sense. I closed my eyes and tried to do as it said. I needed to convince the plant to change, whatever that meant. I cracked open an eye. Nothing had happened. It was still the same blackened stem.

"This is pointless." I laid my head back on the couch I was sitting up again. I slid the pot away from me. It probably was a weed. Killing it may have been a blessing.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

It opened and Suzette gave me a pleasant smile. She carried in a tray of food and set it on the ground beside me. Sitting down on the couch, she scanned the books scattered across the floor. "Any luck?"

I shook my head and closed the one next to me. "Nope." Grabbing some bread, I gave up and slid down onto my back. Staring at the ceiling, I ripped a chunk of the roll away with my teeth. "Dad's right. Its life force is gone. It won't even respond to magic."

She picked up the pot and the pitcher of water. Suzette carried it to the window. "Maybe there's a little something left in it." Placing it on the sill, she made sure the sun would hit it and sprinkled it with some water. She took a deep breath. "That's all we can do for now. I'll tell the high priest we're still working on a solution."

"Hmm..." I took another roll and sprawled out on the floor.

Suzette walked back to the couch, nudging my foot as she passed. "Rather unsightly for a prince."

"Not now," I muttered.

"What's made you so upset?" She leaned over her knees. "Father wasn't very cordial at dinner, but he's been worse. For how mad the high priest was about our experiment on his seedling, I expected father to be angrier."

"He wasn't belittling you," I replied sharply.

"Because I have an amazing little brother who took the blame." She smiled down at me. "Thank you, Tolcan. I really appreciated it. I made sure to tell father all about the effort you put in today."

I rolled my eyes. "I doubt he believed a word of it."

"Hmm..." She peered off across the room. "You are upset about something. Perhaps, a particular person has put you in such a sour mode." She rested her head against her hand. "Did one of your girlfriends leave for the fishing grounds?"

I turned onto my side. "Who gave you that idea?"

"Albern."

I peeked over my shoulder at her. "Yeah, what did he say?"

Suzette shrugged. "Just that your attitude might be contributed to the nomads leaving. So?" She arched a brow. "Is that the reason?"

"Maybe." I snatched the last roll.

My sister smiled. "Is she that important?"

"We may be mixed, but father isn't going to allow any more nomad blood to find its way into the royal family."

She gave me a knowing smile. "It must be serious. None of the others have ever made you this upset when they finally figure out you're only toying with them."