Chapter 8: My Queen

(Edited to comply with Wattpad terms of services for younger readers. The entire scene is included in the ebook and on Patron. Tapas/Radish it's edited to comply with their restrictions.)

I lifted Ki's shirt over his head and kissed a trail up his stomach to his neck.

He shivered and pressed against me. "It's cold."

I reached over and pulled the blanket over the top of us.

He laughed. "How did you get all of this here?"

"There was a reason I was so tired. This shit weighs a ton." I wrestled the quilts over top of us. It didn't leave much sleeping space, but it was an excellent excuse to be clingy.

***

Leaning against the wall, I peered outside and listened to the waves hitting the beach. It was rather soothing. Ki shifted. I pulled the blanket further up around the man sleeping in my arms. I'd have to be more careful on what spells I used to make sex easier on him. Some had some exhausting side effects. My eyes ran over his face. I didn't think that Ki minded it, though.

This one night was worth coming all the way here. The first sign of light was starting to illuminate the sky. I laid Ki down and made sure he was well-covered. I snuck away and went to search for my clothes. It was freezing. I had to resist the urge to climb back into bed with Ki.

While putting on my boots, I noticed a pair of eyes watching me. After slipping my arms into my coat, I knelt down at his side and kissed his head. "Be safe, okay."

He reached up and clasped my cheek.

I leaned down and kissed him. "I'm going to leave the blankets. Take whatever you need."

"You can't come back, remember," whispered Ki.

I kissed him again. "You never know."

"There's nothing I can say. You'll always do as you want."

"Now to just get you to do as I want."

He laughed softly. "When you are a king, I'm sure you will get your way."

"I appreciate your faith in me. My twin would say differently, though."

Ki's eyes started to close. "You're older, my prince. It is your right."

I played with his hair until he fell back asleep. Whether I was older than my brother or not, it didn't matter. Age wasn't something that decided the heir. The gods' law said the king was only allowed to have one son, who would inherit the kingdom. Any princesses born before the prince belonged to the temple. The law never said what to do when the queen gave birth to twins boys. Neither my brother or I had been struck down by the gods, so it was for my father to decided the heir.

I pressed my thumb to his temple and whispered a quick spell. "Be safe, my queen."

His lips pulled back for a second into a smile.

Rising to my feet, I took a deep breath. The sky was getting brighter with every passing second. I left the room and headed for the nearest exit. At least here in this abandoned castle, we could play pretend as the happy couple. For one night, I could have him as my queen. But outside those walls was a different world and it was time for me to return to it.