Chapter 2: Like a True Prince

The door was kicked open and I immediately threw the blanket over Ki's head. I sat up and met my brother's gaze.

He leaned against the door frame and folded his arms. "Is there really something so special about Eglin? It's like wandering through a cesspool out there."

"Get out." I hurled a pillow at him. "No one asked you to come."

Albern caught it. His eyes wandered to the lump next to me and he started to move toward it. "Male or female?"

I rubbed my face. "You are two seconds away from being thrown out the window."

Albern wandered over and pulled back the covers. "Use magic on me and see what happens."

Ki peered up at the prince. "Hi."

Albern dropped the blanket. "Him, again?"

I held out my hand and my shirt flew to it. "I can sleep with whomever I want." I pulled it over my head and started doing up the front. "It's the one thing I get out of the arrangement." Putting on the remainder of my clothes, I stood and tucked in my shirt. "Why are you here?"

"It's been three days."

"I've been gone longer." I found my boots and sat on the end of the bed to put them on. "How'd you know I was here?"

Albern moved the curtains to the side with a finger. "Followed the drunken bodies."

I smiled to myself. We had a good night. "I was planning on coming back today." Standing, I stretched my arms overhead. "Today's one of the ceremony things, right?"

My brother faced me. "Yes, Tolcan. Today is one of the meaningless ceremonies that has been performed for hundreds of years. Just another precaution to make sure the barrier doesn't fall and our enemies come in to slaughter everyone. Nothing too important."

I waved my finger at him. "Sarcasm, you've been practicing."

He cursed under his breath and marched to the door. "I'll be waiting downstairs." He slammed the door and I could hear his footsteps as he marched down the hall.

Ki sat up and crawled across the bed. "Is he going to tell your father?"

"No, no." I hurried over to him. "He's just naturally cranky. That's all."

"He sounded really annoyed this time." Falling into my chest, Ki let out a shaky breath. "I don't want to go to prison. I've heard the stories. They treat my people like toys. We're playthings to them." He rubbed his knuckles.

I lifted his face and kissed his eyelids. "If my father even sent you to prison, I'd break you out before anyone could touch you."

Nodding, Ki smiled. "I think it would be easier to stay on your brother's good side so he doesn't say anything."

"Albern won't. He hasn't yet."

"He yelled at me last time he caught us together. Today it wasn't as bad, but my faith in his patience is failing."

He shrugged. "It was more yelling at me. You were kind of just there if that makes you feel better."

Ki shook his head. "It doesn't."

I kissed him. "I'll talk to Albern. You focus on taking care of yourself." I patted his cheek as I stood. "Tell your mother hi for me."

He rolled his eyes before flopping back on the bed. "She hates you."

I scoffed. "I'm a prince. She can't hate me."

"She's not going to say it to your face. I can tell she hates that I sleep with you. Our relationship wouldn't even be appropriate if I was a woman. Being a man makes it's worse."