Chapter 5: Family Dinner

Ki was gone. What was I going to do to entertain myself for the next few weeks? I guess I could try being a respectable man for a few weeks. I'd end up as dull as Albern if I did. Staring off into space, I spinned my fork around on my place setting. When were they going to get here so we could eat? I was starving.

"Tolcan!" The door banged open. Suzette marched into the room and stared me down.

I roughly ran my fingers through my hair. "Yes?"

Suzette slammed the pot down in front of me. "You killed it."

With an annoyed expression, I glanced at her. "I thought it was some stupid bean plant. It shouldn't be that hard to replace."

"Well, it wasn't." She folded her arms. "It was a seed that blew in through the barrier. The high priest is furious."

"The high priest? You took it from the high priest. Why didn't you tell me that in the first place? I would have been more careful with it."

"I didn't think it would matter. I thought you would be responsible enough to take care of it." Her shoulders dropped as she sunk into the chair across from me. "What am I'm going to do? It's not like I can replace it." Suzette motioned to the withered plant.

I tapped my finger on the table. I probably shouldn't mention that I had zapped it and immediately left the temple after killing what turned out to be an ultra-rare plant.

"I'll have to fix it somehow." Letting out a heated breath, she locked eyes with me. "And you are going to help."

"Me, why? I don't know how to fix it. The things dead." I motioned to the shrivel stick.

"You kill it!" She sat up straight.

Albern entered the room. "What did he kill this time?"

I grabbed my knife. "It was a private conversation." I hurled it at him.

The end stuck into the invisible shield before dropping onto the floor.

Albern picked it up. "Missed again." He threw it back at me.

I slowed it down mid-flight and caught it by the handle. "No, I didn't. You simple blocked it. That doesn't count as a miss."

A smirk spread across my brother's face as he sat down beside Suzette. "Maybe you should work on your defensive?"

"Why?" I twirled the end of the knife on my plate. "Are you planning on learning any new techniques that I should be worried about? The only thing you're good at is killing magic. I'm not exactly afraid of someone who's only ability is to make a bubble around himself."

Standing, Albern slammed his fists on the table. "Until you figure out how to get past it, I'm not exactly worried about you, either."

"Boys," said Suzette. "Please."

"You should be." I met my brother's gaze.

The knife flew from my hand and straight at his face. It dropped to the table as Albern defused my magic. It was an annoying little trick. His only trick but it was one that kept me from throwing him across the room as children.

"Damn"—I propped up my head on my fist—"maybe next time." The knife slide to my free hand. "I'll just have to keep trying to break through."

Albern pointed his finger at me. "You misuse your magic like it's some game. It's not a toy, Tolcan! The kingdom depends on us and you don't even care."

The back doors to the chamber were opened by guards. We quickly rose to our feet and bowed to our father.

He went to his seat and took his place at the head of the table. "Sit."

We did so. I moved my knife back into place with my other silverware. Suzette sat with her hands in her lap as Albern glared at me from across the table. He was only mad because as much as he studied, he had never progressed.

"What were you arguing about?" The king glanced between us.

The tension between us became more apparent. I dropped my gaze to my plate. The servants began to carried in the food. One quickly filled my father's glass and stepped behind the king's chair until he was needed again.

Albern and I exchanged quick glances. Neither of us wanted to get on the topic of magic with our father. If one of us had met his expectations, he would have already named them as his heir.

"We had a small problem in the temple," replied Suzette.

"I took one of the high priest's plants," I stated.

Suzette's mouth fell open.

"I wanted to try time-bending magic. I took one of the seedlings out of the greenhouse without consulting with the priests first." I swallowed hard as my sister shifted in her seat. "Unfortunately, I killed a plant that cannot be replaced." I looked between my siblings. "We were discussing possible spells that might bring it back to life. We couldn't agree on what technique would be best."

My father sighed and sipped from his cup. "I know about the plant." He shook his head. "A rare find and now look at the poor thing."

I licked my lips. It didn't help the situation that the blackened stem was sitting in the middle of the table. "I'll find some way to fix it."

"Magic draws on life force. There is no life left in it!" The king held up his glass for it be refilled. "I know you ran off again." He eyed me. "Your mother would be disappointed to see you like this. Neglecting your position as a prince of Sarid, and for what? To go and play around with women from the slums." He shook his head. "Sometimes I thank the gods she died before she could find out what kind of man you've become."

I rose from my seat and tried to retain my anger. The knife started to vibrate. I could feel them watching me. My hand wandered to the pot. "I'm finding it hard to concentrate and have lost my appetite. I'm going to the temple to see if I can find a way to fix it." Bowing to my father, I picked up the plant. "May I be excused?"

He nodded.

"My king." I bowed again and marched from the room.

Closing the door, I pressed back against it. I heard the cloches being opened. My stomach started to growl. It couldn't have been worse timing. Cursing under my breath, I made my way toward the temple. What a waste to what smelled like an excellent dinner.