Chapter 3: Putting on a Show

Suzette led me into the throne room. We stood to the side to wait for my father's arrival. The regular nobles and priests to the gods were all there to witness the ceremony. Albern slipped into the room and joined us.

"You didn't do much for a smell," he muttered, adjusting his clothes.

I smiled. "It's the after-sex glow."

Suzette elbowed me.

Groaning, I tried not to draw too much attention. She had incredible aim to cause the most amount of pain. I subtly rubbed the spot, glaring at her. That hurt far more than it should have.

A royal guard walked to the circle on the floor at the base of my father throne. He banged the hilt of his spear on the ground. The clanking echoed against the stone walls. Everyone fell still.

"All hail the king, protector of Sarid."

Taking a deep breath, I turned my attention to the side entrance. The doors were opened by two guards. My father entered the room and walked toward the head of the chamber. We all bowed as he passed. I lowered my head and saw the end of his robes brush against my feet.

He took his place at the front of the room and scanned the room. "Today we solidify the strength of the barrier that protects our kingdom from outside forces. May the gods bless our people." He cupped his right hand and lifted it high overhead.

We mimicked the action and peered up the mosaic painting on the ceiling. I glanced at my siblings. They took these ceremonies too seriously. It was a monthly occasion we had to take part in since birth. It would be nice if we could skip the formality and go straight to the ceremony.

I leaned against the wall as my father began his speech. It changed slightly every time he gave it, but it was the same basic concept of may the gods bless Sarid with protection and prosperity and that we would always have enough magic to power the barrier.

Suzette tugged on my sleeve. "Stand straight."

Rolling my eyes, I did so. This was taking too long. Ki was running off to go fishing. I had other places I wanted to be right then.

The king held out his hand to us. "My children, come."

We followed him out into the middle of the room. A circular pattern was carved into the stone floor. The four of us spread out evenly around the outer edge. My father was first to kneel and then the rest of us followed his example.

The priests began to praise the god as they paced around us. I clasped my hand in my lap and closed my eyes. I could feel the power inside my chest began to grow. It made my skin prickle. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I rolled my head from side to side as I struggle to remain quiet. As a child, the experience would leave me in tears. I peeked at my father. Sweat was beading up on his forehead. He'd yell at me for being weak minded. His expectation for a child to withstand this kind of pain was ridiculous. I gritted my teeth as the energy seemed to vibrate my bones.

My father fell forward and slammed his palms into the stone floor. A blue light raced from his fingertips. My sister was next and Albern followed. I pressed my hands against the ground and let out a sigh of relief as the energy raced from my body. It was collected in the center of the circle. The priest lifted their arms into the air and called out to the gods. I kept my head down to hide my annoyed expression. It was all show. My father was the one who would release the magic to be sent out to power the barrier. I watched the king. He took in a deep breath and when he exhaled the blue light shot a beam into the sky. It went up through a hole in the ceiling and hit the barrier high above the kingdom. The wave of power rippled out toward the borders.