Part 1: Welcome to Beacon!

It's the beginning of the school year again. Beacon Academy was receiving its annual influx of freshman who would soon go on to train and become the defenders of the world. While many of the new students were gaping in awe at the tall spires of the academy's towers or talking with their friends, one stood apart from the others. Rather than interact with his fellows, he stood away in a dark corner of the courtyard reading a book in one hand, holding a cane in the other.

He was tall and slender, with dark green eyes. His hair was black and chin-length, partially obscuring his left eye. What parts of his upper body that weren't covered by his sleeveless leather jacket were covered in tattoos. He wore black pants that had a chain of silver skulls hanging on the right side, and unlike many of the students mingling about, he had black sandals for footwear. He had a single fingerless glove on his right hand, in which he held a silver cane; in his left, he held a golden-embroidered book with a single numeral on the cover: "V."

The boy's peaceful reading was interrupted by a large explosion in the middle of the courtyard.

Despite the spectacle, he simply glanced up from his book and found there were two girls in the middle of the dust cloud from the explosion; the likely source rolled up to his feet in the form of a vial of red Dust.

"I suppose that's as good a way as any to make an impression," the boy smiled to himself, closing his book and picking up the vial with the familiar Schnee Dust company logo engraved upon it.

"This isn't your ordinary combat school. It's not just sparring and practice, you know! We're here to fight monsters, so... watch where you're going!" he heard the first girl scold the second as he approached. She had ice blue eyes, pale skin, white hair, heels, and a white "combat skirt" as they were supposedly called.

"Hey, I said I was sorry princess!" shouted the other girl who was dressed in a red hood and cape, black and red combat skirt, and had a large mechanism on her back that was likely her weapon.

"I believe she is an 'heiress' actually," the black haired boy interrupted, "In fact, I believe she's set to inherit the company from her father. Weiss Schnee I presume."

"Finally! Some recognition!" Weiss said confidently with a smirk on her face.

"I've also heard your father's company has had some issues with controversial labor tactics and a couple questionable business partners," the boy smugly replied.

"Wha—How dare—The nerve of...Ugh!"

Weiss grabbed the vial of Dust from the boy's hand and stormed off with her luggage, not looking back.

"I promise I'll make it up to you!" the girl with the red hood shouted after her retreating figure. She promptly collapsed on her back groaning as V looked on, "Welcome to Beacon..."

Another new student walked up, this one being a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. He had a few pieces of armor on his upper body, partially covering a black hoodie.

"Hey...I'm Jaune," he said holding out his hand.

"Ruby," said the girl in red, "Weren't you the guy who threw up on the ship?"

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The three students walked down a separate path on the school grounds. While Ruby and Jaune were conversing, the black-haired boy continued to read his book.

"All I'm saying is that motion sickness is a much more common problem than people let on!" Jaune finished explaining to his new friends.

"I'm sorry! Vomit Boy was just the first thing that came to mind!" Ruby laughed.

"Of yeah? What if I called you Crater Face?" Jaune jokingly referred to the earlier incident.

"Hey, that explosion was an accident!"

"Well, the name's Jaune Arc! Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue - ladies love it!"

"Do they?"

"They will! Well, I-I hope they will. My mom always says that... Never mind."

In response to Jaune's comment, the third teen chuckled, leading the others to turn to him.

"So...I didn't catch your name earlier," Jaune asked.

"I have no name," said the boy, reading his book, "I am but two days old."

He paused for a moment. Jaune and Ruby glanced at each other.

"Are...you being—"

"I'm just kidding," V interrupted, snapping his book shut and turning towards the others, "Call me V."

"Well, V...nice to meet you! And thanks for helping me earlier!" Ruby said, extending her hand.

"Pleasure," V tucked his book into his belt, shaking her hand.

The three stood in the same spot, an awkward silence falling over them.

"Soooo... I got this thing!" Ruby broke the silence, taking out the device on her back. It folded out, making a large scythe that stabbed into the ground.

"Woah! Is that a scythe?" Jaune exclaimed in surprise.

"It's also a customizable high-impact sniper rifle!"

"What?"

"It's also a gun," V explained.

"Oh, that's cool."

"So, what've you got?"

"Oh, I...uh...got this sword! And a shield too!" Jaune awkwardly drew his sword from the sheathe, the latter expanding to form a shield in his left hand.

"So what do they do?" Ruby asked.

"Errrr...well, the shield gets smaller, so I can just put it away if I get tired of carrying it."

"But it would just weigh the same anyway" V pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess so..." Jaune muttered, a bit defeated.

"What do you have V?"

"Just this cane," he emphasized it by tapping it twice on the ground.

"That's it?"

"Well, I do have some tricks up my non-existent sleeves, but you'll have to have patience: they'll be revealed in time," he explained with a smirk.

There was another pause in conversation V began to walk again, prompting Ruby and Jaune to follow him.

"So why'd you help me out back there? In the courtyard?" Ruby asked V.

""He who would do good to another must do it in Minute Particulars: General Good is the plea of the scoundrel, hypocrite, and flatterer,"" V quoted, once again reading his book.

Ruby and Jaune had blank looks on their faces, trying to decipher what he just said.

V simply explained, "There's no reason not to help other people. Besides, we're all new here, might as well try to make some friends."

"Yeah! My mom always said "Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet!" Jaune chimed in.

"Do you always like to share the words of wisdom of your mother?" V inquired jokingly.

"Uh—well I...Um...."

"Hmmm," Ruby looked around, "Hey, where are we going?"

"Oh, I don't know! I was following you two. Y-You think there might be a directory? Maybe a food court? Some kind of recognizable landmark?"

V merely chuckled at his companions' plight, "Worry not: I've been here quite often. The amphitheater is that way."

The black haired teen pointed off in another direction toward a large building with an open roof that had arches over it.  Intricate designs were on the front with two large, light blue windows on the sides of an open door.

"Come, let us make haste to our destination," V once again started off, Ruby and Jaune in tow.