Part 8: Nightmare

V tapped the side of his coffee cup with one finger as he sat down at one end of a cafe table. Blake sat on the left side from him, sipping from a cup of tea while Sun was at his right, using his tail to sip his own tea.

"So you want to know more about me..." Blake finally broke the silence that had permeated since almost two days ago.

"Finally! She speaks!" Sun exclaimed in jubilation, "Two days and nothing but silence and cold looks. From both of you!"

V and Blake leveled their own glares at the rascal.

"See? Like that!"

V sighed as he took a sip of his coffee while Blake simply rolled her eyes.

"Sun, are you familiar with the White Fang?" Blake began.

"Of course! I don't think there's a Faunus on the planet who hasn't heard of them. Stupid, holier-than-thou creeps that use force to get whatever they want. Bunch of freaks, if you ask me!" Sun said while V remained quiet.

"I was once a member of the White Fang," Blake said.

Sun nearly choked on his tea and spit it out onto the table, "Wait, what?"

"That's right. I was a member for most of my life, actually. You could almost say I was born into it..." Blake explained.

"Back then, things were different. In the ashes of war, the White Fang was meant to be a symbol of peace and unity between Humans and the Faunus.

"Of course, despite being promised equality, the Faunus were subjected to discrimination and hate. Humanity still thought of us as lesser beings. And so, the White Fang rose up as a voice of our people. And I was there."

"I was at the front of every rally. I took part in every boycott. I actually thought we were making a difference. But I was just a youthful optimist.

"Then, five years ago, our leader stepped down, and a new one took his place. A new leader, with a new way of thinking.

"Suddenly, our peaceful protests were being replaced with organized attacks. We were setting fire to shops that refused to serve us, hijacking cargo from companies that used Faunus labor. And the worst part was, it was working. We were being treated like equals. But not out of respect... out of fear."

Blake put down her tea cup, leaving Sun in stunned silence while V had a contemplative look on his face, "So, I left. I decided I no longer wanted to use my skills to aid in their violence, and instead, I would dedicate my life to becoming a Huntress. So here I am: a criminal hiding in plain view, all with the help of a little black bow," she emphasized the last part with a wiggle of her ears under her bow.

Sun paused for a moment before saying, "So...have you told your friends any of this?"

"Just me so far," V filled in Blake's stead, noticing her discomfort at the question.

"Oooh...So that's why you're on the run," Sun realized. Blake continued to look downtrodden.

"Maybe we should go for a walk and decide what to do next," V said as he stood up from his chair and held out his hand to help Blake do the same.

"Sounds as good an idea as any," Sun followed suit as the trio exited the cafe.

The three of them turned down a side alley soon after beginning their walk. Sun strolled casually with his hands behind his head, V was examining a dark mass on his palm, and Blake just walked normally.

"So what's the plan now?" Sun asked as he looked around.

Blake contemplated for a moment before replying, "I still don't believe the White Fang is behind these robberies. They've never needed that much Dust before."