Part 3: Players and Pieces

"The last pair has been formed, sir," Glyna reported to Ozpin, watching the students' progress on her monitor, "Nora Valkyrie and Lie Ren. Poor boy... I can't possibly imagine those two getting along. Still, he's probably better off than Miss Nikos."

Ozpin simply remained silent, staring at his own screen, his eyes focusing on a particular student making his way through the Emerald Forest.

"I don't care what his transcripts say. That Jaune fellow is not ready for this level of combat," Glynda continued, "And as for V, he still hasn't found a partner."

"I think you worry too much Glynda. Have a little faith in them," Ozpin responded.

"Anyway, at their current pace, they should reach the temple within just a few minutes. Speaking of which, what did you use as relics this year? Professor Ozpin?"

Ozpin didn't answer as his gaze now focused on Ruby and her fairly unwilling partner, Weiss.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

V continued his trek through the trees; he was seemingly no closer to his destination with forest in every direction and no sign of a clearing besides the one he had landed in.

I'm not even entirely sure where I'm going, he thought. His walking was stopped when Griffon suddenly dive bombed through the canopy and landed in front of him.

"Well, that was quick. What news do you bring?"

"I got some good news: the ruins are about three quarters of a mile that way," Griffon indicated with his head towards V's left.

"Then I guess we keep going. But often times, good news is not without bad news..."

"It's not super bad news, but there's a small pack of a dozen Beowolves about to surround you."

V merely chuckled, "Good. At least I'm finally meeting some form of opposition."

"Okay, just remember this Shakespeare: you and I both like to exist," Griffon advised, "So get rid of these guys quick, 'cause killing them ain't my shtick!"

As Griffon finished his sentence, V looked into the tree line and found twelve pairs of red eyes staring back at him. The human stood up a little straighter, pointing the tip of his cane forward like a sword.

"Don't worry, I'll be gentle."

(Play Crimson Cloud—Devil May Cry 5 OST)

One of the Beowolves leapt from the shadows towards V, claws outstretched and jaws open to tear into him. V simply smiled as a dark cloud burst from his cane, this one forming a large, black panther with red eyes that latched onto the Beowolf's throat with its teeth, tearing into it and tossing it back towards V who promptly stabbed through its head with his cane, quipping, "Pardon me."

As the corpse began to disintegrate, the dead Grimm's packmates stalked around, encircling the Summoner.

"Gouge 'em, Shadow," V commanded, and the panther obeyed. A large spike shot forward and implied a Beowolf mid-leap, allowing V to run up the spike and end the Grimm's life similarly to the first. Three more Beowolves charged on the ground in an attempt to to take out Shadow, but Griffon swooped in, strafing them with small lightning shots before shocking them all with a straight line of lightning strikes.

"Slice them."

V's panther ran towards the stunned Grimm before jumping into the air. Multiple spikes came out of the big cat as it spun, making something akin to a saw blade. It ripped into one Beowolf before bouncing onto each of its companions, tearing through the bone plates on their skulls and allowing V to dash forward and finish each one of with a swift stab through the head.